A question for the older guys here... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 05:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A question for the older guys here...

Like it or not, this current "rat rod" movement is getting a lot of younger guys interested in preserving some old iron. Even though they aren't painted fancy, very little if any chrome, sometimes natural rust allowed to patina everything.

So what do you guys think about it? Just curious if you look at this with aggrivation? disdain? disgust? or do you see it positive that a younger generation wants to learn old traditions, shun pop billet culture, and preserve some old iron?

It would be nice of some of the older guys who have "been there, done that" compliment the younger crowds once in a while in person. Seems like most of the older rodders I have met over the years kept to themselves and even if you tried to talk to them, they just kinda gave short answers and acted disinterested in what the younger guys are working on. That's why I like this board though. Seems like a cool bunch from all ages that recognize each others efforts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

I myself like it... Its really good to see young guys and gals get into cars and trucks and have a "rat rod" as they say... We have an 18 year old were I work and he is into rods and such... In fact he is in the process of building an alcohol powered 4 wheeler (banshee engine) to run the 1/8th at the local strip... He tends to drool over my "rat rod" that is a true "Rat" (has a BBC) its in the process now of being redone... The thing most of them need to know is to not make it their every day driver till its finished... Just get a POS to drive every day and spend the spare time working on the real ride...

Oh and just to coin a phrase... "Rust just means its ligher"
Old 09-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I'm not a "Rat Rod" type of guy as I tend to like shiny paint, but anybody that wants to resurrect anything old has my
Old 09-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Frank, I am one of the oldest members here and I am glad to see anyone into modifying vehicles of any sort. I am not a fan of the glass cars but do appreciate all the work it takes to make them decent. My biggest concerns related to Rat Rods is safety for the operator, passengers and other people on the road. Build them safe at all cost and it can look however you want it as far as I'm concerned. There is a senior member on this board that is a die hard Rat Rodder so I don't think age will be an issue here.

Trees
Old 09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

anything to keep them away from the rice
Old 09-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Rodding is Rodding...........even, if it is, dare I say it, a Ricemobile..........it's still Rodding.

I think the communication problem stems from many of the younger and older people, whether they are car guys or not, just not seeing eye to eye on many things.....................

It has been that way forever.................just ask our dad's, if they are still around.

Budget RVs
Old 09-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
.....My biggest concerns related to Rat Rods is safety for the operator, passengers and other people on the road. Trees
I'll second that. Rat Rods aren't my cup of tea either but whatever flips your switch I guess. Just build'em safe. Unfortunately a fair amount of Rat Rods are anything but safe.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I LOVE it!!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:28 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'll second Trees' concern about safety. We don't need more rotted brake lines and wired-together seat supports boogeying down the highway.

Maybe the current rat rod craze is a reaction to those who wear their cars as status symbols. There are people who feel inadequate if they can't buy the biggest or fastest or most expensive off the assembly line. They are not interested in transportation or fun, just in perception.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

I can appreciate most any vehicle that some one put their blood, sweat and tears into, even rice if it is done right. The FAD of rat rods is going to become a good source of income for the guys that can make them "LOOK" how the folks with the $$$ think they are supposed to look. It started out as a bunch of guys actually building real rods again, but like anything else that is seen as cool, it will be exploited.

Back in the day it was popular to put a bunch of decals on your car to "LOOK COOL". I liked asking them are those the race car parts you want? Once in a while I would get told "those are the parts I got". Then I would point out my 442 or the Z-28 I owned at the time and we would commence to bench race, or take them out to check them out.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Some of us just suffer from "Rusty Iron Syndrome", we're naturally attracted to old rusty beat up machinery. It's not about making a statement or being anti-anything or feeling inadequate. We just like old rusty stuff and like to piece it together to make something out of it. I've been like that all my life and will be until the day I die so it's natural that I would like Rat Rods.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Be American, Buy American!

I am happy to see anyone of any age building, restoring or just enjoying an old car or truck. Its just something about that old iron that gets the heart to pumping.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i think its great, i love the rat rods. when they are at cruise nights and shows i tend to spend more time looking at them than the $75000 rods although i do respect them both .

i also agree that the rat rods should be built safe and at least in my stste if it wont pass a saftey inspection you dont drive it.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I guess I'm like Weimer. I like to "restify" the old stuff. But, I respect anyone who has built something himself. Too many times at car shows I've seen some really great looking cars only to find the owner bought it like that. And, he doesn't have a clue about what he's got.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600

Too many times at car shows I've seen some really great looking cars only to find the owner bought it like that. And, he doesn't have a clue about what he's got.
I got really irate with a show entry judge when he had no clue to the equipment on the car my buddy and I were entering. I had to show him the parts and mods on the car to get it into the catagory we wanted it in. Of course except for the tunnel ram nobody really saw all of the rest of the car.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.