Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - question on paint flip flop and color matching B106 saffron yellow
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,166 Times in 1,028 Posts
Don't worry about how much or how far because that is the painters job, to create illusion so you don't know where it starts or stops. The quarter, the rocker, the hood and the lower fender extension will all have to be blended.

If done properly every component that is bolted to those panels comes off, the bumpers, lights, scoop grilles, ect.

The entire panel is prepaired by scuffing it lightly. The door is painted then the color is brought out onto those adjacent panels. Then all the panels are cleared.

It does sound crazy I know, why not just match the color? I am telling you the facts, most shops don't have a guy who can match colors as close as you would need. It simply isn't part of the deal anymore, it has evolved into what I described and blending is the norm. When you replace a door on a Mini Cooper you have to do the same thing, blend the quarter, the rocker, the hood, the fender ext, and the cowl panel where the wipers are. No one questions a thing, the insurance pay without so much as a blink of an eye, this is where we have gone. And if your shop is a quality shop they will have a life time warrantee on everything they do so that paint will have a longer warrantee than Lotus gives.

Brian