Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - question for the painters
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
back to action!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

if it was my car i would paint the doors and hood separately. and then paint the body and jambs in one go. just rig up something to hold your parts where you can get at them easily from all angles and comfortably and have lots of light on them. it is good that you're mixing all your basecoat at one time. try to make sure you apply the exact same thickness and spray pattern with each part and don't spread out the work over time. try to get them done within a certain time span. with the color you have i think you have a great risk of tiger stripes and there is a chance when you assemble the car, certain panels might not match up perfectly, so attempt this only if you are confident in your painting talents. i have a small shop and i have been painting major components like this for years, that is part by part. the body (just a shell now) would be taken to a friend's garage. just have to be carefull with metallic paints but in the long run you will end up with a more professional job with no mask ridges and overspray in the jambs. i have painted with doors in the car also and with carefull and complete masking, following ridges or whatever you can sometimes make it look like a door or hood was painted off the car but i prefer to do it off the car. i think it comes down to how well you paint though, that metallic pearl is a tricky paint. hope this helps out. personally i just hate masking.
i want to point out that i'm not a professional or anything, just the way i like to do it. someone with more experience could shed more light on this. just remember, dont have your spray pattern going up and down on the doors and side to side on the car.
Les