Hot Rod Forum banner

question for the painters

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  troy-curt 
#1 ·
hi folks,
I'm getting ready to paint the 75 vette, I took the doors off to clean up in behind and the hood is off.
I am using nason base/ clear in electron blue metallic pearl.
My question is, can i paint these pieces off the car better than on? should i base clear the interior sections then retape and spray the face?
my gun only has a 1.7 nozzel so would it be a nicer job to spray all the sections separately, then re-assemble?
I'm getting 3 qts. of base and 2 gallons of clear.I plan on 5 or six coats of clear and wet sand ,buff, polish. If i use the same amount of coats of clear on each sectin, and mix the 3 quarts together in a gallon to blend it.should i expect a near perfect job?
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.mike

#2 ·
if it was my car i would paint the doors and hood separately. and then paint the body and jambs in one go. just rig up something to hold your parts where you can get at them easily from all angles and comfortably and have lots of light on them. it is good that you're mixing all your basecoat at one time. try to make sure you apply the exact same thickness and spray pattern with each part and don't spread out the work over time. try to get them done within a certain time span. with the color you have i think you have a great risk of tiger stripes and there is a chance when you assemble the car, certain panels might not match up perfectly, so attempt this only if you are confident in your painting talents. i have a small shop and i have been painting major components like this for years, that is part by part. the body (just a shell now) would be taken to a friend's garage. just have to be carefull with metallic paints but in the long run you will end up with a more professional job with no mask ridges and overspray in the jambs. i have painted with doors in the car also and with carefull and complete masking, following ridges or whatever you can sometimes make it look like a door or hood was painted off the car but i prefer to do it off the car. i think it comes down to how well you paint though, that metallic pearl is a tricky paint. hope this helps out. personally i just hate masking.
i want to point out that i'm not a professional or anything, just the way i like to do it. someone with more experience could shed more light on this. just remember, dont have your spray pattern going up and down on the doors and side to side on the car.
Les

#3 ·
goose said:
if it was my car i would paint the doors and hood separately.
Under normal circumstances with a single stage or non metallic I would agree, however when using any kind of pearl or three stage paint, your chances of getting things right and having the metallic or pearl match is slim at best.

Paint the jams and inside of the doors and hood. After they're dry, reassemble everything, tape up what you've already sprayed and then spray the whole car. It's the only way to ensure you get the same amount of paint, clear, and pearl on all the outside parts.

Centerline

#4 ·
I paint everything I can dissembled, depending on the color scheme and type of paint I'm using, but, BUT I have room to lay every thing out, so I go from one piece to the other, and paint them all at once, insuring that I apply the same amount, use the same pressure, same direction ect.ect. If you can't do it that way then do like Centerline says, jamb everything and put it back together, mask so the paint edges (masking tape lines ) are where you can't see them or you can sand and rub them out.

Normally you can buy a gallon as cheap as you can buy three quarts separately. Be real careful about applying to much clear,
as it will not cure properly and you will get some molting. If you want that much clear on it you should apply three coats, color sand it and apply three more coats. When the clear is that thick it will chip more easily ( like porcelain ) HTH

Good Luck

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#5 ·
how many coats will it take to be able to wet sand it??i'm guessing 5 or six, but thats a guess, will three good coats be enough to wet sand and buff?
I'm afraid of trying to spray it all at once because of the small nozzel(overspray)

#6 ·
Check you spec sheets, most call for three. With that small of a nozzle you will get some ghosting or tiger stripes. Again check the spec sheet, they should recommend the proper nozzle size.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.