question on painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
DontknowJack

Wiki Edits: 0

question on painting

Hey everyone Im knew here, I just got in the the world of painting. I was helping a friend paint his car and it came out terrible, instead of it being shinny and smooth, it came out solid, thick and there were bubbles everywhere. I did my prepping, my wet sanding and body filling perfectly, the primer job I did came out great everything was even. When it came time to put the paint on it it came out bad, and Im not sure if the gun was the problem it was spitting, I been researching how to do this job for months and some of the things I was looking for I could not find, would anyone one of you here be kind enough to help me out in figuring where I went wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like gas bubbles got trapped in the paint.

You are stacking the paint layers to fast, or making each layer too thick, or both.

Put on medium coats, and allow enough time for the solvents to escape, before you spray another coat. Talk to the paint manufacturer to see what time they recommend between coats, for the shop temperature you are working in.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Paint:
lets start from the begining...what kind of paint (brand and type) it sounds like it wasnt reduced at all or enough....if it was reduced ,what with???

Bubbles:
did you use a wax & greese remover on it???
do you have a filter on your compressor??? Gun???
What size are are the bubbles?????
If you pick the skin off the bubbles does the primer come off too??? or can you see the primer under the bubble??
You may have more than one problem but they are easy enough to solve...
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Last journal entry: Working on the body
Last photo:

If gun was spitting, make sure your gun is set to the right psi also. That also makes a world of difference how the paint lays.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Hard to say what when wrong from what you said and what we know.
As far as the gun spitting, no it shouldn't. You have an air leak somewhere. make sure the nozzle and needle are clean. That the nozzle is on tight, and if there is suppose to be a gasket behind the nozzle, it is not missing or bad. Make sure the packing nut is not too loose and that seal the needle goes thru is not worn out. Make sure nothing is cracked.

Also make sure the vent hole (top of the cup if siphon feed) is not clogged, but that will usually cause the gun to just not want to put out any material, not spit.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:53 PM
DontknowJack

Hey guys I really appreciate the help and the questions, I did say Im new to the whole painting, I learned a few things growing and working in a pretty cheep half ***** shop, so Im not really doing things the right way. (which I hate I really want to do things the right way and I just started going to a school to learn the trade but I wont be starting for another few months.) I was just doing a favor for a friend, now the gun I was using was was a husky hvlp ( I heard from other people that its not a good gun to work with) I did not have a pressure regulator for the gun, the paint was completely mixed and as thin as water. I did the all the prepping prior to spraying, now there are alot of things I dont fully understand about the gun and about using a gun. I did look some stuff up before I did the work. Someone ask me if I was using a filter. I strongly doubt I was, by filter if your talking about the small looking white tube inside that you place in the gun under the paint cup, no there was not any in there. and the temperature, Im not sure about. It was in a garage and there were no heat lamps or anything of that type. so the some up, the paint was thin, there was no filter and unsure about temperature. I know I sound like a noob or something, Im really sorry, I would just like to some help on fixing the situation. and again thanks alot.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

By filter, I assume they are going to me somewhere in the airline. A good one will help trap water and contaminates so they don't get sprayed thru the gun onto the surface, that can cause all sorts of problems with the paint job. Specially when its humid or the compressor gets hot, it can put a lot of water thru the airline. The bubbles could possibly be water from the airline if you didn't used one. The water seperator-filter should be located at least 25' worth of airline away from the compressor, It really does no good attached right at the compressor. I personally only have a cheaper 30 some dollar one.

When you break one of the bubbles, does water come out?

You should also mount a air pressure regulator on the gun (I also attach another smaller water seperator at the gun inlet along with a regulator. Run full pressure out the compressor to the gun, and use the regulator on the gun to regulate down to the pressure needed.

Those small little filters that install in the gun, and come in many are restrictive and useless anyways. Most people take them out. A harbor freight gun probably isn't the greatest in the world, but still probably should be able to get a decent finish out of it, if you have your gun setup properly, paint reduced correctly with proper speed reducer, and your gun technique is good.

Maybe the first place you should start by reading some past threads on air lines and filters-water traps for painting, if you haven't been using any. Very important to have if you are painting.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:25 AM

Try draining your compressor ....You can get an (at the gun )air filter for around 5.00 you really need at least this one to start...HF has a few air supply filters fairly cheap to get you started also .
at the trigger there is a pin that goes through a nut ,that nut may be loose and sucking air causing it to spit...to tighten it snug it up while pulling the trigger when the trigger sticks back off the nut a little until it stops sticking...if that doesnt work your gun might need cleaning and it should be completely taken apart and cleaned with lacquer thinner ,making sure all the little holes are clear...It may look complicated at first but it time you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed...
if you just unscrew the cap and look a through it at a light you may see some holes are blocked just cleaning the cap might be all you need.
If you useit for primer too ,its most likely in need of a good cleaning...
Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 PM
DontknowJack

I was also doing somemore reading and I noticed on the box that the gun came with it said it wont work with a 6 gallon compressor. I used a 150psi 6 gallon pancake compressor with a 40 psi gun.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

I meant to say that in my earlier reply, but somehow missed typing it in. Added to you should be able to get a decent finish out of the cheaper gun if your technique is good, gun setup correct, and paint mixed correctly should be that your compressor will provide enough air to properly power the gun.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

im not an expert but that little compressor probably doesnt have enough cfm to run a spray i used to use a 5 hp 20 gallon compressor and that was wa little to small to do a big job like a car id say if you had a regulator you would see that the pressure gets way to low after u paint for awhile . again im not an expert and i really dont know what im talking about but that was my experience
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 AM

Your right ...theres no way you can paint a car with that ...those pancake compressors are made for short spurts (like a nail gun) I'd be very surprised if you could even paint a hood with that...
Its possible with a 5hp but you'll have to keep a close watch on your pressure and stop to let it catch up once in a while...
Adding another tank to a 5 hp helps a lot...But its still not enough to do a real good job...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.