Question for Polyester spray filler users - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question for Polyester spray filler users

Posted this on other forums to generate as much advice as possible:

Hello,

I have a fiberglass hood that was rough to begin with. From the top to the bottom of the hood it has a gradual curve down to the headlights. Seems like whatever block i use or make, it will put a flat spot somewhere. I have used alot of filler to fill in the huge dips it had and 2k primered it. After i was done there were still waves in areas that are too deep to fill with more 2k so i used some Evercoat glaze. Well now it's basically all skim coated but i can still feel small waves. I just can't get the filler work perfect. I was planning on purchasing that AFS sander, but also looked into the polyester filler primer.

So my question is, should i try to use that AFS sander first and get it as straight as possible, or would it be better to use the polyester spray filler over the whole hood to get a uniform surface? Is it ok to spray poly. fill primer over alot of filler?? Thanks!

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Your getting into a pack of problems here.
First a hood not only being a flat surface and exposed to full sunlight it also is getting heated up by the engine.
So with all this in mind, you have fiberglass expanding and contracting at one rate and polyester and 2K primer at another.
If you dump polyester primer over the 2K at this point its just not going to last past late spring when the temp gets back up there.

At this point start blocking until most of the 2K is off than if you want go to the polyester primer.
Don't just strip the 2K off, block and its OK to leave some but hopefully when your done blocking the hood will straighten itself out a bit.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM

Barry,

Thanks for responding!

I stated that i had glaze coat over the entire hood basically so i wouldn't be applying the polyester over the 2k. I was told that spraying polyester over a panel that had extensive filler work over the whole panel was the way to go. Then after i block , to 2k primer it and bc/cc

Thanks
Old 10-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Your right,
Thats the best way.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 AM

barry,

What would actually happen if i applied the poly. primer over the 2k? You said it wouldnt last till next spring? Thanks

Chris
Old 10-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Maybe it all sounds worse that it is. How thick is the thickest part of your fill sandwich? If it is on the order of 0.01", should be no problem, the various layer will likely stretch and contract together. If it is +1/8", then the different composition of K2 vs polyester products may cause bubbles, delamination, or peeling due to differential thermal expansion and contraction.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

Willy, has a point, I think you made it sound worse in your first question then it really was.
To answer your question as long as the 2K is cured the polyester primer will go over no problem.

On a hood you want to avoid a lot of different products as well as a very high build and this is most true on fiberglass / SMC.

My statement was based on the assumption you tried to block with glaze, than tried to fill with 2K and now wanted to fill more with Polyester. I had visions of a cake 2 inches thick.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally posted by BarryK
I had visions of a cake 2 inches thick.
So did I at first but since he started out w/ a fiberglass part, that usually means a bunch of shallow but noticeable waves that don't take much over a gallon of bondo to fill!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.