Question on Pro Comp Heads on SBC and intake matching - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question on Pro Comp Heads on SBC and intake matching

I have a set of new Pro Comp aluminum 64cc/190cc heads on my 383 SBC with a Performance products dual plane intake (Edelbrock air gap clone). I am using a Felpro 1206 gasket. I was wondering if anybody else is using the combo and if so have you had any issues with this combo ?

I know these heads have a raised intake port, and sometimes you do have gasket sealing problems. I am "suspecting" the intake gasket is leaking and pulling oil out of the lifter valley.

If after troubleshooting this is indeed the problem should I go to a raised runner intake ??? Any recommendations on intake and gasket ? Both the heads and intake are paid for and are basically new. However if I need to pull the intake I would like to make sure this (if this is the issue) problem does not repeat itself. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,091 Times in 902 Posts
This should help you get the intake/head interface squared away and prevent shelling out cash for another intake manifold and still have the same problem....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ad%2C_internal
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a set of new Pro Comp aluminum 64cc/190cc heads...

...I was wondering if anybody else is using the combo and if so have you had any issues with this combo ?
You are probably experiencing the Pro Comp Syndrome, JMO
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke
My opinion too, but I didn't say it.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

If you think the Intake ports on ProComp heads are bad you should look at some of their Intake manifolds. They're terrible. I haven't had any problems with Professional Products Intakes. I've used their Typhoon/Eddy RPM copy & Crosswind/Eddy AirGap copy intakes.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
It was a matter of time that someone would make mention of the pro comp heads....I am very aware of their reputation The fact is I did not choose the components of the engine build and I agree if I was building the engine or having it built I would of did things different on the heads and intake....honestly I don't have the coin to start swapping out heads and intakes due to the $ I have invested on this new engine. Just wondered if others experienced similiar problems and if there was a solutions.

Thanks techinspector on the article on getting the intake machined..

Sounds like the problem is more of the heads than the intake......
Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

OK, then take the heads in and have a very light cut made on the intake side, just enough to see that they're parallel, then proceed with the exercise that I outlined.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
This should help you get the intake/head interface squared away and prevent shelling out cash for another intake manifold and still have the same problem....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ad%2C_internal
instead of doing that you can just cut 2 strips of steel and bolt them on one end so they can swing back and forth and make a V shape. Line up the sides of your tool with the bottom of the V in the lifter valley and the outer sides of the V against the heads where the intake gasket goes. Once the sides of the V are flush with those sides of the head use another bolt at the bottom of your "tool" to tighten it up. That will give you an angle that the heads are at...then you can take that and compare it to your intake
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k600f4

It was a matter of time that someone would make mention of the pro comp heads....I am very aware of their reputation The fact is I did not choose the components of the engine build and I agree if I was building the engine or having it built I would of did things different on the heads and intake....honestly I don't have the coin to start swapping out heads and intakes due to the $ I have invested on this new engine. Just wondered if others experienced similiar problems and if there was a solutions.

Thanks techinspector on the article on getting the intake machined..

Sounds like the problem is more of the heads than the intake......

Since you're contemplating an intake purchase, may I suggest that you ebay the scrap aluminum that you have and buy something else from a reputable manufacturer? Even if they're cast iron, Dart, World Products or even Summit stuff you likely gain horsepower and have no more problems. I know this isn't what you want to hear but the fact is that you'll spend more to correct this situation than it would cost to just eliminate it altogether.

Larry
Old 09-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Related question..new gasket and RTV

Looks like I will be removing the intake and getting it machined. I am going to order a new Felpro 1205 gasket and was wondering what other's opinions were on adding RTV (ultra Black) to the gaskets ?

I planned on smeering a light coat around the intake ports, and water ports and installing the gaskets letting that stand for a few minutes and then installing the intake gaskets and smeering a light coat around the intake and water ports ? I also planned on using the ATV on the front and rear of the intake (ditching the rubber or cork); which seems like common practice. Thanks.

Last edited by y2k600f4; 09-18-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k600f4
Looks like I will be removing the intake and getting it machined. I am going to order a new Felpro 1205 gasket and was wondering what other's opinions were on adding RTV (ultra Black) to the gaskets ?

I planned on smeering a light coat around the intake ports, and water ports and installing the gaskets letting that stand for a few minutes and then installing the intake gaskets and smeering a light coat around the intake and water ports ? I also planned on using the ATV on the front and rear of the intake (ditching the rubber or cork); which seems like common practice. Thanks.
RTV does not mix with fuel, unless it specifically says it is resistant to it. You only need to do the water ports.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

i've never seen the procomp heads, but have heard both good & bad about them. pull your intake & look at the gaskets. you should be able to tell if their getting squished equally. do they line up with the ports on the heads & the intake? intake gaskets come in different thicknesses, maybe something to look at?

this link might be able to help. ask these guys, their using them.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...num-heads.html
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't have the coin to start swapping out heads and intakes due to the $ I have invested on this new engine
See, if you had invested the money wisely I doubt you'd be having these issues. Just because the parts were/are new does not make it a worthwhile investment. Like said, cut your losses. What would be the big deal to remove those heads and sell them to another sap, and get yourself a set of heads that are known to be worthwhile, an investment, both in time and money.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

when you figure out what is wrong please let us know.

did that link help you at all?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Update

Quote:
when you figure out what is wrong please let us know.

did that link help you at all?
Thanks for the post and link 406...

Just pulled the intake and NO OIL in the intake ports....looks like the intake was sealed just fine (was a pain to remove). It looks like I will not getting the intake machined and I have no idea where the oil is going

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.