Question proper method of applying body filler - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 11:22 AM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question proper method of applying body filler

Okay I am getting to the point where I will start applying body filler to the 'stang.

I have to relate that I am in construction and have quite a bit of experience in applying drywall fillers etc. Those fillers tend to shrink after applied, so often times we are using curved trowels, and or applying slightly more fill than the surface, so when it shrinks, it is close to being flat. Still we always want to keep sanding to a minimum, so try and be as exact as possible.

I have little or no experience in applying body fillers. What scares me the most is applying too much filler into a concave area, then having to sand it out.

Are there any online tutorials, that I can look at? What tools should I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Body filler does not shrink hardly at all.

I use a sanding board with a hard back. No foam or soft rubber backed boards should be used.

Check out this from the knowledge base:

http://hotrodders.com/kb/body-exteri..._bodywork.html
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

I just noticed that the knowledge base article talks about wet-sanding filler.
This should not be done.

After the 120/220 dry sanding, it is ready for priming. If you are using a high build primer, you don't really need to sand filler any finer than 120.

Don't use lacquer primers. They are outdated. Use 2K (two-part) urethane primers or if a lot of filling is necessary, use a polyester primer.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Thanks I'll check it out, I am sure it will be a lot of learning, since I am used to flat surfaces, and cars are rarely flat
Old 04-09-2006, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Hi Ripped

I am at the same point on my '65 stang convertable. I am doing a resto mod from a white "C" code to an "A" Rangoon Red GT. I also have construction background as I was a drywall finisher. I am hoping that it helps me with my filler application. I got some Rage Xtreme at my local NAPA. I don't know where you live but there is a big stang rally in Steamboat Springs, CO every year at Father's day. I hope to be done by then. Is the car you pictured your ride?
Good luck! Walt
Old 04-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

Nope, it's Here
I was quite sick for a while, then went for a short holiday, so I haven't updated as I usually do. Mostly working on body panel alignment so more pics won't show much
Old 04-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Body filler is easy. The hardest part is not day-dreaming about the way the car will look when it's done. Soon as you know it, you will look down and realize you sanded too far... Awwwhh F$%#! Then apply more filler and start dreaming again.

Also, extent the filler farther than you need to in order to cover the dent. You want to sand the edges and slowly blend with the dent. Check your work with your hands, not your eyes. Slide your hand over the pannel to see how you did. You will get the hang of it.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:58 PM

hay i know this is a little late for reply but incase anyone reads it now i just wanted to add some helpfull tips. i'm going to school for autobody repair and refinishing almost done so i should know what i'm talking about :d then again i lack years of experiance but i do know alot of dos and don'ts. so like was last posted you DO NOT want to wet sand body filler it'll trap water and you'll have blistering or lifting of the pant. also .. heres a biggie don't put more then 1\8 of filler on unless it's a trailer queen and i personally hate people who build cars purly for show. i'ts a car ... cars are made to be driven ... anyways you put more then that on it and it'll brake off easily ... also watch out for high torque places ... <ie panels that tist when you hammer on it> it may or maynot hold there very well for those places i suggest lead but anyways i hope this helps someone

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.