Hot Rod Forum banner

question re: Ford 8.8

812 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  onebadmerc 
#1 ·
i am considering swapping the dana35 in my tj for an 8.8 by all accounts this is a wise idea if i'm wanting deeper gears and/or taller tires.

is there any difference between the 8.8's in explorers (that everyone seems to pirate for the axle) and the fox-body mustang? they appear to be the same width 59 1/2" - 60"
i realise there are probably 4x4 boards that i could post on (and i likely will) but i am looking for as many viewpoints as possible and the way i see it, hotrodders are looking for as much strength as 4x4ers.
thanks in advance

#4 ·
The 8.8 was originally designed to handle F-250 type loads and towing, it should take anything a TJ can do to it.

The 8.8 replaced the 9" mainly due to cost and weight. I think for a drag or circle track car the 9 is probably better, especially because of the easier gear change.

#5 ·
pmeisel said:
The 8.8 was originally designed to handle F-250 type loads and towing, it should take anything a TJ can do to it.

The 8.8 replaced the 9" mainly due to cost and weight. I think for a drag or circle track car the 9 is probably better, especially because of the easier gear change.

The 8.8 was NEVER used in a 250. In fact made a sad showing in the heavy 150s as many puked under towing useage.

#6 ·
xntrik said:
The 8.8 was NEVER used in a 250. In fact made a sad showing in the heavy 150s as many puked under towing useage.
My apology -- I am working off of my memory talking to design engineers of the day. I had a 250 and thought there was an 8.8 in it but I have never checked the charts....

Anyway it is still plenty strong for a TJ.

#7 ·
I had a 8.8 in my 84 F150 4x4, the rearend didn't even make it to 100,000 miles before it fragmented. I then replaced it with a 9" out of a 1980 F150 and drove the truck six more months and sold it. I still see my old 84 F150 running around with the 9" under it every now and then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.