Question on repainting - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevost
Well I gave it the ole college try... Didn't turn out too bad. The tailgate and the door have a lot of orange peel. Fenders and the back of the cab turned out pretty good. I wasn't going to cut and buff it, then I rolled it out in the sun and the door definitely needs it. The tailgate im not so worried about. I couldn't get any close ups, but man I forgot how long body work takes. I need to be careful when I do get back to cut and buff, the rest of the truck never has been so I don't want a super awesome nice door and the bed and rest of it to look like a good quality job. The rest of the truck is probably equal to a paint job on a new factory vehicle, very nice, but not super show quality. Here's the few pics I did shoot.

Thank you guys so much for the tips and the help, I don't think I could have done it without you!

Thanks,

Kevin
Awesome, it's looking great! It looks like you have done a fine job!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=hinges56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevost
Thanks, i've read a lot of your posts on here, I respect your knowledge a ton.

Good post Kevin and I completely agree with you about Martin Sr. He has set me straight a time or two as well! Is that your orange and white 72 (?) in the background? I bought my 72 Cheyenne Super new in 72 for $4200. I thought it was an outrages price! Little did I know. I still drive it weekly!

No that's actually my dads 71 GMC. He bought it last fall as a hunting/work truck. Rides kind of a like a lumber wagon, but still a fun truck to drive.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Been looking at this thread for awhile. did you do your cut n buff yet? matching the existing paint texture should be pretty easy, just don't sand it down all the way, leave some OP. A pic to illustrate what Im getting at. This was just one pass with 1200 on a block.
I went on to get my panel completely flat, but maybe a quick scuffing is all that you will need for what you are trying to do. I like your work area btw, very roomy!!

andy
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Andy,

No I haven't started the cut and buff yet. Truck is at my folks so I can only work on it on the weekends when I have time. I was thinking the same thing about the cut and buff, just take it down only as far as needed. Thanks for the advice! You guys are awesome.

As for the work area, it is nice, but it's very very easy to misplace tools lol. And there is only one door on the whole building, so absolutely no air moves through it. I'm glad I got the paint on when I did before the heat really hits this summer.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
boatbob2

Thread Hijack.......

FWIW,i had some NAPA hardner in my freezer for over 2 years,i opened it,strained it,,mixed it,sprayed it,came out great.if you have hardner,thats been opened,without being used,if you put some plastic,BETWEEN cap and can (i use a zip loc bag,)and put it in the freezer,it will last a LLLOOONNNGGG time.(im not sure of other brands though) but,almost all,when opened and left out,will get hard in a matter of days...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.