Question on sbc roller cams and lifters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 07:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question on sbc roller cams and lifters

Alright, I have a few questions on this, but first, i am going to do a retro fit into an olderblock. ok, what are the major downfalls of solid rollers? how noisy are they? how frequently must they be adjusted? are they hard to adjust? Also, what length pushrods would I get with stock heads, stock deck height and stock everything else>? Also feel free to give me any comments that you would like too.

Thanks again.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
you talkin to me?

they do make some noise and they do need to be adjusted.
they don't need to be adjusted all that often i would check them every 15,000.
if you are building a street rod there is no reason to have a solid roller. it is easier and more efficient to build a hyd roller.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

The motor is going into a car that I plan on drag racing frequently... its a 350, bored 30, all forged internals, 202 160 heads, and I am going to be using a nitrous kit adjustable from 100-250...

Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:08 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

useualy when you build a solid roller you use +.100 longer valves, (or even longer) and when doing this you need to buy a push rod length checker to make sure you end up with the correct push rod length, a solid roller on the street isnt a bad thing but you need lifter that will oil well at lower RPM, I think some of the new roller lifters out are more suited for the street with this upgrade, the older roller lifters didnt oil well at lower RPM and were designer for sustained Higher RPM use...so they didnt last really that long on the street..

another modern upgrade is that some street solid rollers now have a cast gear, and allows you to use a cast gear..if the cam gear is steel you will have to use a bronze gear and this is bad on the street because they wear really quick and your timing is all over the place if you dont keep a fresh bronze gear in there..

so a solid roller on the street is a good thing but can end up being a real hastle if you dont think it through and buy the related solid roller "street parts"

to be honest the advent of the HDY roller is absolutely the key in a street driven high performance build...you get the best of both worlds...

if you adjust the roller properly and use stud girdles you should have to adjust the valves but say once in a while..I have had mine adjusted for 6 months with out re adjusting them...hth 2wld4u
Old 05-10-2004, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Could you explain your comment on longer valves? I have heard this said before, but no one has ever explained it to me!

Thanks again!

Ryan
Old 05-11-2004, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Longer valves give you the neccessary installed height if the the roller has large lobe lift.

Solid rollers are hard on valve springs on the street. Also, at idle the lifters tend to get hammered and the needle bearings get flat spots on them.

If you still want a roller on the street, I would consider running a hyd. roller cam and solid roller tappets. The opening and closing ramps are easier on these profiles. . hence you don't have to run the spring pressure. Still get the benefit of the power increase from a solid roller but less maintenance. Also do not skimp on roller lifters.

Chris
Old 05-11-2004, 09:52 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

AMEN to that

Also do not skimp on roller lifters.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.