Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Question on sealer
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo17 View Post
If I use a urethane primer do I have to use sealer first before spaying either a base coat / clear coat or a single stage paint.
No

Quote:
My problem is the person I want to paint my truck tells me that if I use a primer, sealer, 2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear it means he is going over the entire truck four times or more and that jacks the costs up really high for the paint job..
Depending on the color, 2 coats of base may not be enough to get coverage, 2 coats of clear is fine, unless you plan to aggressivly sand and buff.

Quote:
He is telling me to just use a urethane primer and a single stage paint which would bring the total cost down to about half of doing it the other way..
single stage is fine for solid (non-metalic/pearl colors)

Quote:
Can you get a single stage metallic paint? .
Yes, but ya gotta really be good painter to get a good shine with no streaks, or blotches.

Quote:
What do you think? This is a nice daily driver but not a show truck.

Jimbo
Doesn't matter what I think. It matters what you want.
If you want a nice, even, (no streaks etc) with a good shine, go with base/clear. If you want a solid color, with good shine, and holdout, go singlestage, If you want a singlestage metallic, nice and even with good shine, find a good painter.