Hot Rod Forum banner

Question on sealer

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
If I use a urethane primer do I have to use sealer first before spaying either a base coat / clear coat or a single stage paint.

My problem is the person I want to paint my truck tells me that if I use a primer, sealer, 2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear it means he is going over the entire truck four times or more and that jacks the costs up really high for the paint job.

He is telling me to just use a urethane primer and a single stage paint which would bring the total cost down to about half of doing it the other way.

Can you get a single stage metallic paint?

What do you think? This is a nice daily driver but not a show truck.

Jimbo

#3 ·
No offense but have you seen what a single stage metallic looks like??? in regards to the depth of the flake? If I were to go SS I would go with a solid color. Apart from losing the gloss as swv says you will also get a generic looking metallic. With solid colors you are only losing a little gloss but the color is dead on. With metallic, it just looks like a cheap maaco job or taxi cab or something. Can't really buff on them either due to flakes not being UNDER clear. Try cutting and buffing on that and you got fishscales. If you're not just picking SS metallic cause you got jambs already a metallic than you might want to consider those factors before choosing to go single stage AND metallic as opposed to a solid color.

#4 · (Edited)
If the truck is all the same color a sealer isnt really needed assuming it was sanded with the proper grits.Sealers do two things provide a uniform color for the paint so there wont be any light or dark spots you can see through the paint....and it also fills sand scratches about the same as a coat of paint will. I would rethink using SS metalic though for all the reasons mentioned above....Use a solid color SS or a bc/cc for metallics.

#5 ·
I hate to disagree with you guys but if he's trying to cut cost a single stage isn't that bad. Biggest problem is now with base clear everyone has forgot how to spray it myself included. I used to be able to spray single stage metalic with a real nice gloss when that was all we had and you sprayed it everyday. So if the guy thats doing the job is good with single stage he maybe alright. Will it be as glossy as base clear{no}.But may not be that bad.

#9 ·
Ain't that the truth! I use to spray it and today, honestly I would have a hell of a time. The last time I shot a complete SS metallic it was a number of years since the last one and it was a tiger striped mess! My hats off to those guys who do it, and some really can lay it well.

Brian

#6 ·
SS solid colors are even cheaper,look much better and way easier to use,plus runs can be easily sanded out...not so with a metallic SS...However, a ss met may be good enough for the owner,not me though I just, cant see doing all that work and not trying to do a nice paint job.
My last painter could spray SS met very well ,he painted at the local econo shop,I cant spray the stuff to save my life...so if a guy knows what he's doing SS metalic can look pretty good ,that is until a bc/cc job is sitting right next to it, then theres a big difference...
for thebest looking paint job at the cheapest price, a solid SS is the way to go...
and it can be cut & buffed to a show finish...

#7 ·
Hey Jimbo, I can vouch for what is being said above. A solid SS can be finished to show quality. A metallic SS can not. If you have your heart set on metallic color bite the bullet and pay for bc/cc. In a metallic ss the metal flake is all through the thickness of the paint. If your painter gets a run anywhere the metallic will sag with it and there is NO WAY to sand the run out and it not show. There is also no way to spot a ss metallic in easily. You will end up with a nightmare and not have the paint job you are looking for. The guys above are professionals and would not waste their time with clear coat if it was not necessary. Save the ss metallic for your '98 Corolla.

John L

#8 ·
I want to thank everyone who offered their opinion on the best type of paint to use.

Since this is a daily driver I am thinking about using a solid color single stage to keep the costs with reason.

Some of the prices were over $5,000 dollars doing it the other way and that's a little step for a shop truck.

My buddy shot his 1972 Chevrolet Pickup with a red single stage and they added something that makes the paint almost look wet to the touch. He shot the truck in his backyard!!!!!!!! No Kidding.

The truck looks better then cars I have seen in shows and it's a daily driver here in Florida.

Thanks for your help and great advice. Jimbo

#11 ·
I would realy like to have him shoot my truck

I may try and have him shoot my truck if I can talk him into it.

He would rather sit around and drink Buds all day.

The guy is very talented like many other painters I have meet but once they hit a certain age they would rather just sit in the shade a have a few cold ones all day then work.

I know it sounds crazy but money does not motivate certain guys at all.

He is a good friend so I just might be able to talk him in to doing it for me.

He has all the right guns and compressors and everything else but he will only shoot it outdoors. Right now here in Florida it rains almost every day like clock work so I might have to wait for maybe another month or so for it to cool now a little.

We have a local economy paint shop and they used to prepare about 2 or 3 cars and then call my friend to come in around 8 PM and he would paint all three cars even if he was there until 3 AM

Like many paint shops here in Florida they liked painting at night when it was cooler and also there was no building inspectors or fire marshals working at that time of night who would wander into the shop checking things.

Jimbo

#14 ·
If I use a urethane primer do I have to use sealer first before spaying either a base coat / clear coat or a single stage paint.
No

My problem is the person I want to paint my truck tells me that if I use a primer, sealer, 2 coats of base and 2 coats of clear it means he is going over the entire truck four times or more and that jacks the costs up really high for the paint job..
Depending on the color, 2 coats of base may not be enough to get coverage, 2 coats of clear is fine, unless you plan to aggressivly sand and buff.

He is telling me to just use a urethane primer and a single stage paint which would bring the total cost down to about half of doing it the other way..
single stage is fine for solid (non-metalic/pearl colors)

Can you get a single stage metallic paint? .
Yes, but ya gotta really be good painter to get a good shine with no streaks, or blotches.

What do you think? This is a nice daily driver but not a show truck.

Jimbo
Doesn't matter what I think. It matters what you want.
If you want a nice, even, (no streaks etc) with a good shine, go with base/clear. If you want a solid color, with good shine, and holdout, go singlestage, If you want a singlestage metallic, nice and even with good shine, find a good painter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.