Question on Shaved Doors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Murderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Question on Shaved Doors

I'm considering eventually doing the shaved door thing...just wondering, if anyone has thought of what might happen if for some reason the electrical failed and you weren't able to pop your door open?

Anyone encounter this problem or is it a pretty remote possibility?

Was trying to think of a way of incorporating a mechanical release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 08:44 AM

Go into the search section and go under the topic shaved door handles or shaved handles. There was an entire post on it. But if you are going to run an amp in the trunk you can just hook up some jumper cables on to the pos and ground. It will charge the battery just enough to open the doors. The solenoids that open the doors need very little power to open them.
Good Luck
Fireschenie

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: fireschenie ]</p>
Old 03-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Murderator

Last photo:

Did the search thing and I didn't pull up anything that gave me an answer on this...unless you consider HK being partial to putting in late-model door handles or hiding a door handle in chrome trim.

Oh well, I'm just at the point of tossing ideas around and gathering information.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 AM

Alright, It's in the electrical section. Go to search, then go to battery dead shaved door handles, in the ELECTRICAL section. It's right there. It's about a guy's lexus had a dead battery and then went into the trunk to charge it from his amp.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

I'm paranoid about being locked out, too. I have a bunch of ways to get into my truck with shaved handles - remote control, hidden magnetic switches, a button underneath and a hidden cable release. They are listed in order of difficulty to get to. I didn't spring for the backup battery system, but that would be another good measure.

You can also recharge/boost off of the starter solenoid, BTW. It's definately not going to be easy to get to, but if you can't open the hood, trunk or doors, that might be your only way. I'm thinking of Chevies with the solenoid on the starter. Firewall mounted solenoids would be next to impossible to reach.

Another option I skipped with the kit I bought was remote battery terminals. Mount 'em under your bumper and you can easily boost your vehicle without opening the hood. They come with covers on them so you don't short them out by accident.

Make sure you get lots of functions on the remote control if you ever plan to add other stuff to it. You can wire your power windows to it, a remote starter, alarm, etc... The sky's the limit if you like gadgets.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Stinkin_V8 ]</p>
Old 03-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

Stinkin'
that's the kind of information I'm looking for. I can't quite visualize how to put together a manual cable release that would look good--how did you handle this? Do you have pictures or can you provide more details?

Thanks in advance for your help...that's exactly what I was looking for, not some BS info on dead battery--I'm more worried about the electronic components failing, or maybe a fuse/breaker problem...recharging your battery isn't going to fix that Fireschenie-
Old 03-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

The electric actuators that trigger the door latch usually have a cable coming out of them that is the actuator. You attach this to your latch and away you go. If you can attach one cable, you should be able to attach two. I used a bicycle brake cable, I haven't put a T-handle on it yet, but I plan to before I'm really finished. Run the manual release cable down through the floorboards, use a grommet where it goes through the sheetmetal, and just attach it somewhere under the body where only you will know where to look for it.

I used bear claw latches in the door frame and the post in the door itself. If you use the latches in the door, then your remote cable will have to go through the door frame. You don't want to kink the cable, so keep the run as straight as possible.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.