A question for the solid axle, king pin, early ford spindle kind of guys... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

A question for the solid axle, king pin, early ford spindle kind of guys...

OK, here I am getting ready to start on the deuce and keeping with my philosophy of maintaining a rigid posture of flexibility I'm thinking about alternative but safe brakes.

I have a brand new set of disks (Speedway Motors kit) using the 37-48 spindles, mopar 11" rotors and GM calipers. However this deuce is being built early 60's style so disks really aren't in keeping with the overall theme of the car. I know that disks are the best way to go but with a light car a good set of drums will work almost as well, and I can use the Mopar 11" rotors on my Polara project by just purchasing a new set of caliper brackets so its not like I would be waisting them. ( I have a set of 73-76 "A" body spindles, hubs and 11 3/4" caliper brackets to adapt to the Polara already so just swapping caliper brackets is all it would take.)

Anyway, according to what I've read (and I have no experience with early Ford brakes) there are two or three ways I can go.

First is the 53-56 Ford F100 drums. This seems like it would be the easiest way to go because there is no "machine work" to this adaptation. The problem is this mod is very popular and the parts are relatively expensive. Also its unclear if you can use the early Ford hubs (41-48) with the F100 backing plates. Guidance here would help with the eventual decision guys.

The second possibility is late 40's Lincoln drum brakes. These are self energizing drum brakes but I'm not sure if the Lincoln hubs will fit on 37-48 Ford hubs. Common sense says yes but I just don't know for sure.

The third way to go is to adapt a modern set of GM brakes to a set of early Ford (40-48) backing plates which I understand will work well with 42-48 hubs and brake drums.

The Buick drum option seems a bit too involved for my purposes even though they really do look cool. Anyway, what I'm looking for is a good set of manual self energizing drum brakes for the front that will plenty of stopping power.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have the F-100's on my roadster. Work great ... You can use the 53 to 56 F-100 backing plates and hubs. They are self energizing. Brake drums from 53 to 66 interchange. I use 65 - 66 shoes and brake springs and hardware because their are self adjusting and the 53 to 56 adjusters are not.

Go here for a write up.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/f1brakes1.htm

This last photo shows a factory grease slinger shield ... and you have to trim a little of it away for the self adjuster cable to clear @ the 4 o'clock area.

Deuce ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There is a thread on Hamb where a guy is making bearing adapters so you can just use the entire Buick finned drum & hub. But, that leaves you with a 5 on 5" pattern, not a 5.5"

The thread has a link to another thread about using the GM self energizing brakes on the ford backers...for the Buick fins.

I signed up for the Buick adapters being made, because:
-my 40 drums are thin
-I have an early Olds rear with 5 on 5" pattern.

(I have no clue on wheel style yet, but at least they will be the same pattern)

Keeping it simple seems to work best? in your case, the stuff that Deuce posted looks straightforward.

I did stop at an old place in my new town today; asking for the finned drums. They recently HAD a set, but I am too late
Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There is a place in Vancouver Washington called All American classics that may have the parts you guys are looking for..they do have a website but I do not have the addy in front of me..

Sam
Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I have e-mailed you a scanned image of an article concerning early Ford/Lincoln hydraulic brakes that can be found in this months (March 2008) GoodGuys magazine. I didn't post it here due to possible copyright infringements.

I found the wheel cylinder size information to be very useful.

Since you don't accept e-mails I sent you a Private Message concerning the article.

Last edited by Frisco; 02-16-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys. Still reading as much as I can find and it seems the late 40's Lincoln style might be an easy install. The F100 if I can find the parts would be my first choice though. ..... still looking.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I believe the Lincoln ones may work better ... 12 inch diameter VS 11 inch diameter on the 56 F-100 . But I know the 56 F-100 stuff is way easier to find here in the southland. All you need used is the hubs and the backing plates. Everything else is at NAPA or Car Quest ... NEW

Around here the F-100 stuff is usually free for the asking ... because so many of the 53 to 56 F-100's have been clipped, had Volare or Pinto/Mustang II front installed. The last 3 or 4 sets I got ... I got for FREE.

I was offered a complete 56 F-100 axle ... hub to hub, about 3 or 4 weeks ago for 25 dollars.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

The more I investigate this the more it looks like it will cost, at least for Buick drums or the Lincoln. The hubs and drums will run around $500 and I'm not sure I can justify that expense when I already have a new set of disks. The F100 option may be cheaper by a couple hundred bucks, cheaper yet if Deuce had picked up that last deal for $25 and sold the hubs and backing plates to me!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
cheaper yet if Deuce had picked up that last deal for $25 and sold the hubs and backing plates to me!
Bill ... if you need a set ... I can find you a set ... cheap, freight would be expensive but if you are not in a BIG hurry ... there's always the meet up and greet up in AUGUST

Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Bill ... if you need a set ... I can find you a set ... cheap, freight would be expensive but if you are not in a BIG hurry ... there's always the meet up and greet up in AUGUST
Hmmm..... that's an idea. Let me think about it for a day or so. I'm watching some stuff on e-bay right now that if I can pick it up cheap enough will work.

I read an article on the hamb of all places (I didn't go there it came up on a google search) where a guy adapted mid 70's GM station wagon 12"x2" rear brakes to 39-48 backing plates. Uses standard Ford hubs and drums which seems like it might be a viable solution. Backing plates are cheap enough but its the hubs that seem to be pretty expensive. There's a set up for auction that ends today and we'll see if I can get them at a decent price. If so I will probably try adapting the big GM rear brakes. The only expensive part in that case would be a new set of drums. If I can't do that mod cheaply a set of F-100's if you can find them would work just fine but I would probably need them before August. Shipping cost is not a big concern.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I have been shipping heavy stuff on ebay lately. US Mail usually beats UPS on heavy stuff that is not way oversize. Depending on miles..you need to check both Priority AND Parcel Post. Sometimes Priority is cheaper

Also, in a short while; US Mail is supposed to do away with the 2 sizes of $8.95 Flat-Rate boxes that have NO weight limit. They are supposed to replace those 2 sizes with just one slightly larger box at $10.95. Drums maybe?? Check online, because my local office did not know anything about it yet.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

drum brakes

40 plus years ago i put late 50's olds spindels-brakes on a ford axle. I had new bushings installed in the olds and had the engine rebuilder hone them with his small end rod machine to fit. I had a front end shop that worked on BIG trucks use the power jack set the front end alignment.. lots af ways to go to get better drum brakes

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.