Question on TCI transmission controller - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question on TCI transmission controller

I've checked out the software and I'll be getting one of these in the next week or so. It's gonna be controlling a 4L80E retrofit in a 1993 MPFI GM setup. My question for anyone that's used the unit is about error codes. In the software, I see there are 4 error flags, a psm fault, and an RPM error. There is nothing in the documentation about what the error flags refer to. None of the example logs they gave in the sample software have any transmission errors to see how that works. There is no explanation of how the rpm and psm errors show up in the software.

I called TCI and the person there had no idea and said they would have to have another person call me. Still haven't heard anything.

I like this unit because it is cheaper and easier to hook up,however, everything else out there has easily understood error codes in the event of a transmission or wiring problem. This unit may as well but FAST never documented anything about it. Does the actual unit come with a better manual and different software than the free sample online stuff?

Thanks so much, guys.
Bugsdad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 PM

Nobody has used this?
Anyone have a number or contact where I can get ahold of FAST directly? I'm pretty sure they make them for TCI but I'm not certain.
What kind of controller are you guys using in the retrofits?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I have not heard of anyone successfully swapping a 4L80E into anything and coming back around to tell about it, but I kind of wish someone would just to see how it went for them.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 AM

Last journal entry: Got the backside done (more or less)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsdad
There is nothing in the documentation about what the error flags refer to... There is no explanation of how the rpm and psm errors show up in the software.

I called TCI and the person there had no idea and said they would have to have another person call me. Still haven't heard anything.

This unit may as well but FAST never documented anything about it. Does the actual unit come with a better manual and different software than the free sample online stuff?

Bugsdad
You have just about covered it all. I am driving my 4L60E with the same unit. The one good thing I can say is that hooking it up was straight forward and it has worked great since the first time I fired it up several weeks ago. So much so that I have not even started tweeking stuff yet even though I will need to.
I spent my career designing/developing software so I know a little of which I speak... there is no excuse to have ANY display or function that is not well documented, which is exactly the case here. I have also found that their tech staff is pretty light weight. I have had to get 'mad' a coupla times in my emails just to get a response. Once, when I called, the techie got real short with me when he couldn't answer my question... Jeez I hate that!
About the only answer I have is to your question 'There is no explanation of how the rpm and psm errors show up in the software". As an example, from 'View' you can select the 'dashboard' display. You can customize this display to show any/all available outputs. I just went out and checked... here are my current values... Flag1= 0 flag2=128;Flag3=0; Flag4=2; RPM error=1;PSM fault=0. But like you say, ain't no doc and I don't have a clue as to what this means.
I hope you can read real small print... the displays are really small and you cannot maximize. Called and complained, asked if there were any plans to for an enhancement, just got shined on.
If you have a mind to, lets stay it touch on this one and share any crumbs they throw our way.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 AM

Finally got ahold of someone today......no where.
The guy was clueless. I asked what the error flags referred to and the psm and rpm errors....he had no idea what I was talking about. He kept telling me what the unit could adjust, completely bypassing the question. Finally I stopped him and asked "does the TCI unit broadcast an error code if something goes wrong or is out of set parameters? For example if it overheats or a shift solenoid malfunctions." He said, "you mean an error code like the stock stuff?"...."yes, like the stock stuff." TCI...."no".
So far that is the only unit that does not give error codes that I've looked at. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and pay a little more to get something that is a little more "trans builder" friendly. I was kinda disappointed in the "technical" response I received from TCI. Maybe I was expecting too much.
Got ahold of FAST. There is a guy there named Mike that handles the transmission controller questions. The 4 error flags, the rpm error and the psm error are all circuit board errors withing the UNIT itself. NOT the transmission. The unit does not take into account transmission errors. He did say that if you are having a problem, log the episode, call them tell them what it's doing and they can narrow the problem down with the information. I asked why not just put the information into a manual???You know, like if you are having "this" type of complaint and you see "this", "this" and "this" on your datalog, your problem is most likely "this"...Mike told me, "oh yeah, we are definitely doing that. I told him that it would probably help them as well not having to field calls from guys like me concerning just that subject. Just saying the error flags are board codes would have helped emmensely and saved some phone calls and owner issues as well. How about giving a listing of what the "board codes" mean? It would be nice to know if the board was getting low voltage or getting excessive resistance through a shift solenoid. Yeah. Little disappointed but at least FAST put me in touch with someone that knew what they were talking about.

Last edited by bugsdad; 03-30-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Supercharged T/A

Last photo:

I have asked tci for a 4l80 price , 1 weeks later i have receive a price in my email

"the price is xxxx.xx " Thats it nothing more...
Then send back and email to have details on the trans., never got a reply back..

I have ended to buy a 4l80 from http://www.phoenixtrans.com and the http://www.compushift.com as controller..

TCI is

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.