Question on torrington roller bearing timing chain set. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question on torrington roller bearing timing chain set.

Hello guys I just bought a double roller billet steel timing chain set from summit for a 350 sbc and it comes with a torrington roller bearing. I have read mixed reviews on them verses a thrust bearing type. I have one on my other 350 and have not had any problems with it but don't drive it all the time. But on my new 350 for my other truck it will be my main vehicle all the time. Are they safe to use in the long run. I am worried about when it would wear out over time and the little bearings poping out. Can I just not use it and will my timing chain be ok? This is going in a 350 once piece rear main seal with a comp xtreme energy hydraullic roller cam. I will be using the camshaft retainer plate so I won't have to worry about cam walk. As long as I have clearance is it really necessary to have to use it? Or should I send it back and get one of the thrust bearing type ones? Thanks Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You need a timing set made for the OEM roller cam set-up.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

the timing chain set I have from summit is for a roller cam setup. It states on there site for 305-350 oem roller cam. So i know I have the right timing chain. Its just a more performance type with steel billet cam gear and heat treated crank gear.
Eric
Old 04-14-2009, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Hello guys I just bought a double roller billet steel timing chain set from summit for a 350 sbc and it comes with a torrington roller bearing. I have read mixed reviews on them verses a thrust bearing type. I have one on my other 350 and have not had any problems with it but don't drive it all the time. But on my new 350 for my other truck it will be my main vehicle all the time. Are they safe to use in the long run. I am worried about when it would wear out over time and the little bearings poping out. Can I just not use it and will my timing chain be ok? This is going in a 350 once piece rear main seal with a comp xtreme energy hydraullic roller cam. I will be using the camshaft retainer plate so I won't have to worry about cam walk. As long as I have clearance is it really necessary to have to use it? Or should I send it back and get one of the thrust bearing type ones? Thanks Eric
Don't like 'em, won't use 'em. If they come apart they make one hell of a mess with rollers and chunks of rollers in the oil.

The thrust loads aren't so great that they need rocket science solutions to what is otherwise a simple problem. All you're trying to do is to stop cam walk without gouging the block, with a thrust plate, it's taking all, or most all, those moments. So there isn't much for the timing gear or it's thrust washer to do in that regard. There's no power to be had here only risk of small part failure with one of those things.

In fact when you look at the design of radial roller style thrust bearings you can see the self evident silliness of them. The outside edge of each roller has to go further than the inside edge, but the roller can only roll at one speed, so that means somewhere along the length of the roller, it's going too slowly or to quickly for the path traveled. So one end, the other, or both of each roller is skating. Exactly what help is that in reducing frictional looses?

Bogie
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Are the rolling elements in the thrust bearing assy. not slightly tapered with matching races to ensure the rollers roll and not just slide? Has anyone actually measured them? I would think that SKF or Timken would have their act together on this. I agree the 2 washer/ 1 bearings units are sliders but are the 1 pc assemblies the same.

On the subject of roller elements flying around the motor, I agree the less the better, a solid thrust washer with a small hole in a gallery plug for extra oiling is probably all that is required.

Last edited by weedy64; 11-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.