Hot Rod Forum banner

Questionable 383 stroker buy.

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  454C10 
#1 ·
First off ... Hello new member here.

I have a chance to buy a 383 stroker for 1700. I really don't know too much except for what I read and have only rebuilt the entire top end on my 77 camaro 350. The stroker I have a chance at getting has the following.
5.7 rods
Eagle forged crankshaft
KB flat top 2 valve reliefs .060 over
hydraulic flat tappet Crane can 22200.
(His wording here for the cam specs)
Duration 222@.50
290 290 lift @ .447
And lobe centers intake 110 and exhaust 118
2.02 1.6 cast iron heads, not sure on the cc's
Says compression is either 11.5:1 or 11.75:1
370 HP and 420 ft/ lbs

I just don't know enough if this is a good combo and worth the risk of buying it. He is selling because he built a small block 400 and is happier with it, and wants the money for a BBC build. Any input would be appreciated. And I know that a short block is around the same price but I can't afford to buy the rest. Oh and I would be using this stroker in my 81 chevy 3/4 ton long box th350 stock gears with 35's.

Thanks in advanced!

See less See more
#4 ·
4.060x3.75=388ci, not that its a big deal.

Thats a very short cam duration and lift for a 388 with hat high of a cr. That engine would run terrible on pump gas. What are the casting numbers of these 2.02/1.6 iron heads? Does he have a dyno sheet to prove that the engine actually produces those numbers? How about reciepts to prove the parts used? Eagle FORGED crankshafts seem to be ok, but if it has a eagle CAST crank I would walk away from this deal.

Poorly matched engine combo, buyer beware.

#6 ·
Would the right roller cam lifters and rockers make it better? And all I see on those casting numbers is GM crate 350 and El honcho Mexico?? He did say that the heads had been rebuilt and worked. Oh And a 750 edel and performer rpm intake.

#7 ·
993 castings are 76cc heads. I wouldn`t buy it and why is because 993 heads are poor flowing with large inefficient chambers. Next the cam is the 327 350 horse factory blue print cam. This cam is based on 40 year old technology and there are far better cams out there. If this is a street bound engine the compression ratio is too high for pump gas. Plus if he didn`t set the quench distance to be tight this will only make it worse and the large chamber head has poor combustion characteristics which will cause it to detonate itself to death unless you slowed the spark timing down then the engine would be a turd.
You could find yourself a factory Vortec 350, which came with Vortec heads and a roller cam. You could do a basic hone and rering on it, get the heads clearanced for higher lift, throw in a comp hydraulic roller cam with .215 duration, a set of headers, a edelbrock performer intake and Quadrajet carb, HEI Ignition with a pertronix coil and module with spiral core plug wires. Don`t sound like much does it? Next take the 350 and the 383, install them both in identical cars with the same gears and transmission. That simple 350 would blow that 383`s doors off.

#8 ·
I was hopping it was going to be a good deal just by the price vs the cost of the parts in the motor. With the elevation here, 5000+/- help wig he detonation problem? And with doing the build you mentioned with the 350 the engine alone from the junkyard is going to cost 800 to 1000. Plus the additional parts and work.

#9 ·
You got to be kidding. A thousand bucks for a run of the mill small block chevy? They could never stay in business with a price that high. My local yard gets $375 for a complete Vortec 350. Big block chevy 454`s go for $800 to $1000 around here, but a small block? I just sold a complete excellant running factory roller cammed 305 for $400. I know prices vary from state to state but I never heard of inflation being that high.
The only way you`ll get it out of detonation is:
A. Slow the timing way down, which will kill power in the process.
B. Run 105 octane race fuel for around $10 bucks a gallon.
C. Tear it down and replace the pistons with dish tops.
Were only trying to tell you it`ll be a mistake to buy it. IMO, I wouldn`t give him over a $1000 for it and why is because 993 heads are junk, the cam is based on 40 year old technology. Eagle cranks have a poor reputation and they can`t be used out of the box without machine work. The compression ratio is too high for pump gas so that takes out street duty. Your money, your call.

#10 ·
Believe me I am taking your comments into consideration. As for the cost of engines in junkyard here... yeah they want to make their money off one sale instead many sales. Because that was my other thought to get a vortec 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0 and put the vortec carb'd intake on it. I don't want to waste my money that's for sure. That's why I'm here listening to all input. I understand what ur saying, just looking at my options. So far this one is not looking good. And I dont know enough to get it, and get the right parts to make it run like it should without costing more than I can afford.

#11 ·
I would pass on the that 383.

find a complete 350 vortec engine with a factory roller cam. should be able to find one for $500. Look for a 96+ 350 truck engine on Craig's List in your area. Get a complete engine (fan to flexplate, with starter too!)

Then do a stock rebuild and change the intake to a vortec edelbrock performer intake.

should be able to get a stock rebuild done for about $1000 and an intake for $150.

A 350 will make more power than a 383 if the 350 has good heads and the 383 has bad heads. So, forget a 383 unless it has a good set of heads. When it comes to a 355 versus a 383, spend the money on a good set of heads first and 28 extra cubic inches second.

Yes, that cam sucks. doubt the engine is 11:1 cr with 76cc heads. but that cam has over 290 degrees of duration (seat to seat) so it should run as high as 10.5:1 cr with pump gas I would think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.