Questionable intake manifold leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Questionable intake manifold leak

Recently posted a thread quoted the the Oursman Chevy Dealership diagnosed my vehicle for the cost of $146.00 telling me that my intake manifold was leaking. My vehicle is a 1987 5.7 fuel injected suburban Chevy. The dealership quoted a price of $1350. for repairs. I told the dude I could get it repaired for allot cheaper than $1350. I ask the guy if I could re-torque the bolts, his answer was no. Well, I got the vehicle home and did the same thing he did and that was to squirt some starting fluid around the manifold. I can't say that I got any increase of idle. Then I went to the exhaust manifold bolts would you believe every bolt was hand tight? To make a long story short I removed the throttle body cleaned that up real good and re-torque bolts on both manifolds and throttle body and got a vast improvement in performance. I called the Dealership and complained to the dude who diagnosed my vehicle. I told him about tightening the bolts on the exhaust manifold. He claims my performance had nothing to do with re-torquing manifold bolts so why in the hell is my vehicle running better? Does it sound like this guy knows what he is talking about or is he not willing to admit he is wrong? I really need some strong opinions to build a case against this guy, because you can bet I will be taking this matter to his superior.

Tommy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Retorquing the exhaust wouldn't have any effect on a vacuum leak and had the exaust been leaking you wou would have known it. It would have been rather noisy. If performance DID improve it probably had more to do with the throttle body, it may have been leaking at the base.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy evans
Recently posted a thread quoted the the Oursman Chevy Dealership diagnosed my vehicle for the cost of $146.00 telling me that my intake manifold was leaking.
What was the complaint and symptoms that you had when you brought it in?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:

if your exhaust was leaking at the manifold it will screw with the o2 sensors. it could cause a performance problem...
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I say that for $146.00 they pointed you in the right direction. If it's running good and your happy now, let it go. You just saved $1350.00.!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Original complaint about vehecle

My vehicle had no response to acceleration. In other words my get up and go got up and went. I can say my engine light came on a time or two, evidently that was the computer warning me about what the 02 sensor detecting the exhaust leak. Again I emphasize the dealership mention nothing about my exhaust manifold bolts being totally loose, they were plain down right finger tight. I recently changed my thermostat and had a leak around the gasket, possibly the mechcanic seen this and thought the whole intake manifold was leaking. Anyways thats another story, it involves the wrong bolts used, thats next on my repair list. Does 43 foot lbs sound credit for torque on intake manifold? Keep the comments coming.

Tommy

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.