Questiong about stripping (no not that type) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Questiong about stripping (no not that type)

I am currently stripping the old paint/primer off my truck and it was going slow with a 4" stripping disc so I picked up a Miketa sander/polisher (3000 rpm) and got a 7" velcro style backing pad and some 3M surface conditioner pads (coarse). I tested a small corner of the cab and it does a much faster job.

My question is, I notice the area got warmer than when I use the little 4" setup. How hot is too hot to get a panel, especially larger, flat areas? I was still able to place my hand on it without discomfort but it was warm. It wasn't any warmer than when the panel would be out in the sun. I just want to make sure I don't warp things and figured I better ask, since I am totally new to this whole body work thing.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You are ok with that..take looong strokes side to side then up and down and then diagonally and do not let the sander set in one spot..

Sam
Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Cool, thanks for the answer.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Warm is fine. You won't have to be worried about warping unless you are grinding or welding.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I pretty much tried about every way there is to strip paint of cars.Those little discs are pretty good for irregular surfaces like jambs,fender lips, louvers etc...What I really like is they dont leave grinding marks and really polish the metal nice (ready to prime)unless there is a LOT of paint then they are slow and expensive.I found that the fastest and most economical way to strip a car is with aircraft stripper from Kleen-Strip.Once the majority of the paint is off those pads can save some time if you can afford the extra expense.Theres a few tricks to chemical stripping that make it pretty easy,and without any mess,unfortunately you have to learn them from someone or strip quite a few cars to learn most of them.
A good stripper can strip an average 2 dr car ,jambs and all in 8hrs at a cost of 40-50.00 plus a few rolls of tape and paper,without the dusty mess of friction stripping or blasting.
those discs work by softening the paint with heat and those big ones will warp a hood if your not careful.
Try placing your hand on the metal every few minutes ,if its to hot to hold your hand on it its getting too hot.They're better than grinding discs but they're not so good for a newbie to use.
I would strongly recommend you to use the Kleen-strip aircraft stripper for the best results....and save those little discs for the jambs.
BTW,its the edge of the disc that does all the work it wears out quickly and starts slowing down...if you trim off a 1/4 -1,2" and screw it into a smaller backer they'll be useful all the way down to the nub and the smaller they get the tighter the spot they can be used in....Heres a pic I had on hand to help you understand how I use them....these are rol-loc grinding discs but its the same idea and works well for both to get the most out of them. it's also a big time saver to have a few (el cheapo) dedicated angle grinders from Harbor frieght for each pad so you dont have to stop and re-chuck different ones..I use an old pair of tin snips to cut them....
Those big metal conditioner pads were pretty expensive when they first came out I wonder what they cost these days....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6007 (Small).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	46495  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-30-2010 at 06:44 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.