questions about car lifts???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

questions about car lifts????

i was shopping for a car lift for the shop,and i was wondering which one too buy..i was looking at worth's,rotary,and bend pak..which of these three are the best or our there others i schould be aware of..also whats the difference in asymmetrical and symmetrical?also is the 2 post lifts better or our the 4 post lifts better?thanks in advance for any help......joe.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

The lifts really depend on the use. the two posters raise the body by the frame and the suspension hangs. Perfect for tire, brake,shock, suspension work. The four posters raise the car by the wheels and tires.
Most general repair shops use the two posters. The asymetrical type have the posts mounted forward of center making it easier to open doors on vehicle and do trans work underneath.
As for brand, Rotary has a good history of excellent products. Just make sure you have a good service/sales rep available for repairs on any of the brands.

I would love to have an asymetrical two poster, but economics dictate that I live with an old, in ground, one poster.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

I agree with what BOB said. Just depends on what you are going to use it for. I just recently purchased a Rotary 10,000 pd two post symmetrical lift. I did allot of research and hassled all the mechanics in town before I purchased one. Out of all the shops I talked too, only two shops had other brands. And one of shop said he wished he'd purchased a Rotary lift. All of the mechanics that I talked to said they hadn't had not one problem yet. I also talked to this guy on another forum board that I hang out at and he said his dad has owned a Rotary two post lift for twenty years and only had to replace one seal on one of the hydraulic cylinders. Other than that, nothing. A few of the reasons I purchased the Rotary lift was cause I could see how well this lift was put together. None of the local shops has had no problems out of there's. And most of all, the Rotary factory is only a few hours from me in sothern Indiana. All in all, I'm 100% happy with my lift. Other than the fact I couldn't get none of my friends to help me put it up. Anyways, that's another story. The link below has a few pictures of my lift. If your interested, post back. I'm not 100% sure if I can post the price that I paid for it. I haven't read all of the board rules yet. But, I can say this, I paid allot less than what most sales reps sell this lift for. Plus, I got the setup fee for free. Cause that person that set it up was "ME"......lol.

http://community.webshots.com/album/148274990LkEgHn
Old 06-15-2004, 06:37 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

There's been numberous conversations on this topic. To save everyone else from re-posting, take a gander through previous topics and the knowledge base.
I have a 4post and love it. Autolifters M-80. No regrets. For the mobility feature ,I'll trade off the requiremnt of having to jack a corner, or one end of the car, while its on the lift, if I need to get at it.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm....thats odd. I did a search and only found one other thread that was related to this topic. The last time I checked, this was a forum board. Forum board are for asking and answering question....right? Besides...new equipment is always coming out everyday on the market. Anyways, I'm not barking at you, just telling my feelings of how I feel about that comment.

By the way...that is not an attractive way of attracting new members.

your turn....lol
Old 06-16-2004, 07:02 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Cliff-
No offense taken,bro! It is just the forums policies to request that you research before posting. My INTENT was that there were already 6 other posts about lifts within the 7 pages of Garage. Lots of people won't cut/paste or retype a response. So to get a better "read" on lifts, check out the other posts. (I should have worded it differently.)

Mobile Lifts
2 Post lifts
4 post lifts (2 of them)
Lifts
Some Car lift companies

Jeff
Old 06-16-2004, 11:41 AM

Last photo:

Jeff,
I do agree but being this board is mostly the older respectful generation. Some or most might not know how to do a search. Me, being a moderator on another board, I try always to keep that in mind. So, I try to help as much as I can. But, I do thank you for not kicking my six or going ballistic on the keyboard.

Anyways....see ya around on the board.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:53 PM

thanks guys

thanks alot guys for all the info...joe
Old 06-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Elikofer
I agree with what BOB said. Just depends on what you are going to use it for. I just recently purchased a Rotary 10,000 pd two post symmetrical lift. I did allot of research and hassled all the mechanics in town before I purchased one. Out of all the shops I talked too, only two shops had other brands. And one of shop said he wished he'd purchased a Rotary lift. All of the mechanics that I talked to said they hadn't had not one problem yet. I also talked to this guy on another forum board that I hang out at and he said his dad has owned a Rotary two post lift for twenty years and only had to replace one seal on one of the hydraulic cylinders. Other than that, nothing. A few of the reasons I purchased the Rotary lift was cause I could see how well this lift was put together. None of the local shops has had no problems out of there's. And most of all, the Rotary factory is only a few hours from me in sothern Indiana. All in all, I'm 100% happy with my lift. Other than the fact I couldn't get none of my friends to help me put it up. Anyways, that's another story. The link below has a few pictures of my lift. If your interested, post back. I'm not 100% sure if I can post the price that I paid for it. I haven't read all of the board rules yet. But, I can say this, I paid allot less than what most sales reps sell this lift for. Plus, I got the setup fee for free. Cause that person that set it up was "ME"......lol.

http://community.webshots.com/album/148274990LkEgHn
I have a Rotory 9000 lb asymetrical sitting in the back yard I told my boy we won't start another project till it is up, we need to pour a concrete pad and him and I with the tractor could have it up in a couple of hours. I can't wait but have to move lots of material trailer STUFF to get ready for forming Ed ke6bnl it is a used one but like new the guy moved his business after getting it north of here and finally sold the property and the lift. Got a chance to try it at the shop and know it worked fine. Ed ke6bnl
Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

i'v got both a 2 and a 4 post lift in my shop, and can say they both are great for almost everything. on the 4 post, you can get jacking beams for lifting the wheels off the hoist for removal, and it is easier to use. the 2 post can't be beat, though, for room to move around. as for brands, the one i run are ALM models 12001(4 post, 12000 lbs) and 9001 (2 post, 9000 lbs). both have air released safety catches, and cable lift. part #s are ALH12001WR, and ALH9001. availiable from Aclands/Grainger here in Canada. check them out as well as lots of other ones at www.acklandsgrainger.com under shop equipment.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:27 AM

Last photo:

I have a chance to get a in-ground lift single cylinder, I am not sure how they install and if just air over oil is used to lift them up. Any help appreciated Ed ke6bnl
Old 06-21-2004, 06:55 PM

lifts

I have an Autolifters M-80 and so far I love it, just my 2-cents worth.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:31 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Did you decide which one , Joe?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:48 AM

Hi Joe, I understand your delema, I'm a hoist man, not in the USA but in Australia so I have no financial motive. I've had 20 years experience in hoists and for the last 8 years imported a product into Australia call Heshbon.
I suggest you look at the factorys site and ask what brand they are imported into America. Look at www.heshbon.com
Truly, these are without doubt the best quality machines I have ever seen, we have had vertually no warrantys and enjoy 100% customer satisfaction.
I do not know who imports into USA or what brand name the wear, but I know they are good, no they are great.
You be the judge, it would supprise me if you can find better, they are fast becomming the #1 hoist here and internationally. Good luck mate.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Supercharged T/A

Last photo:

Just got a 10 000lbs asymetric from rotary Model IP (productivity)
Nice lift operate whit 1 touch button & digital screen on it and build toff !

Asymetric is better for car, you can open the door fully on the lift

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.