questions about installing a roll control/line lock? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

questions about installing a roll control/line lock?

Ok, i have a Biondo line lock that i want to install on my car. Here is a link to the hurst instructions, very similar to the ones in my Biondo kit.
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...00%282%291.pdf
My cars braking setup is the System 3 on these instructions. My car is manual brakes with front disc rear drum and i want to install it on the front brakes. The front brake line comes out of the master cylinder goes about 6" to a "T" fitting and the drivers side front brake line goes directly to the the wheel, but the passenger side goes over and through the proportioning valve then on over to the pass. side front brake. The rear brakes lines also tie into this prop. valve and go on to the rear of the car.
My question is can i install the line lock between the "T" fitting and my master cylinder or does it have to be installed after the prop. valve to not interfer with the rear brakes when activated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

You are going to have to plumb it just like the installation of #3 to prevent the brake failure warning light from coming on. (The locked pressure will be beyond the light-switch, and the switch will see only applied MC pressure)
If you don't care about the light, you can put it between the MC and the T.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 09-14-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

The light would only be on when i had the line lock activated, wouldn't it?
I was just worried that if i installed it between the "T" fitting and the mastercylinder then the proportioning valve would do something to my rear brakes, the wire that goes to my proprtioning valve has never been hooked up to it since before i go the car and my brakes have always worked fine.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Not sure what you are working on.

Some cars this is a pressure differential switch only, to activate if either front or rear has a pressure failure. Must be reset (turned off) manually.

Some are combination valves that activate the switch and also are "proportioning valves" for brake pressure balance. Two separate functions that have just been combined into one unit for convenience.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

than mine might be the pressure diff. switch. I am working on a 1970 AMC gremlin that i put a 355 SBC w/ th350 and a ford 8" rear end with 4.11 gears and a full aluminum spool. I swapped out the old front drum brakes and went with a set of AMC disc up front but everything is still manula brakes on the car. I will ask the guys over at www.gremlinx.com to see if they know if it is a pressure diff switch or the prop valve and pressure diff switch and let you know what i come up with.

THANX!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

gremmy,

I will be using the Hurst line lock on my street rod, and although I have a different configuration, I want to point out something else that is addressed in the Hurst instructions. It concerns the location and type of brake light switch. Depending on whether your switch is a mechanical unit attached to the brake pedal (I'm guessing it is) or a pressure switch mounted in the brake line, you may need to add another switch.
If you are using the line lock for a racing setup only, there is no problem. But if you want to use it on the street as a "hill holder" or when stopped at a traffic light, and you engage the line lock and let off the brake pedal, your brake lights may go out, perhaps prompting a false start by the guy behind you. Not good.....
You may need to install a pressure type switch in the front brake circuit in parallel with the mechanical switch so that when you engage the line lock and let off the brake pedal, your brake lights stay on.
I will be installing both types of switches, a mechanical switch on the brake pedal, and a pressure switch in the front brake circuit. Just food for thought.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

i was reading somewhere that line locks are not to be used as "Hill holders" and that some of them have a timed delay built into them that they only hold pressure for 60 seconds and then release. I will look and see where i ready that and post it up later to let you know.
Thanx,
Ben
Old 09-19-2008, 07:20 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I've read the same thing regarding the use as a hill holder. The solenoid will overheat and possibly burn out. Regardless, my point was only that you may lose your brake lights when you engage the Line Lock.
Steve
Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

my application will only be used on the 1/4 mile and maybe a little stop fun now and then...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.