Hot Rod Forum banner

Questions about master cylinder and brake booster

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  saitek5678 
#1 ·
Im in the process of detailing my engine compartment and one of the things I did was remove my power brake booster and master cylinder and wash it in my parts washer. Now I'm wondering if the mineral oil in my washer may have damaged them. Does any know if mineral oil would hurt a master cylinder or brake booster?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
saitek5678

I would have to say YES, But not if you clean all the solvent off, should be OK, That short term exposure should'nt hurt it. Brake fluid is water soluble believe it or not. Ive had customers come in from time to time and there rubber gasket for the brake fluid resevior was all puffed up and they said there peddle would go to the floor. They had to keep adding brake fluid, turned out they were putting in power stearing fluid. Well it wrecked all the seals pretty much and was very costly. I guess it was about 3 over 28 years only one was real bad. He did a brake flush with PS fluid , wrecked everthing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.