Questions about my current project. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 05:33 PM
you can never know to much

Last wiki edit: Practice page Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
"I think I'm going to just go ahead and pull the exhaust off behind the cab ( if my parents will let me ) and put a turn down on it."

I guess everyone needs to do this at least once to find out what it's like, but I don't think you'll like it if you're honest with yourself. The exhaust note will reverberate against the sheet metal of the bed and cab bottoms and will pretty much drive you crazy after a while.
Thanks for the heads up! I don't guess I'll do it then, my main reason of doing it was to get rid of some of the popping in the exhaust from above the axle back. ( what causes that? I know glasspacks pop a lot, but it doesn't sound that. I don't really know how to describe it lol.)
I also got new chrome tips for it last night, only to find out today tht they are WAY to big. I think they are 2 inch and I need a 1' 1/2 inch?( it's a beetle exhaust, so whatever size that is, I haven't' checked yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
Chances are you have five bolt drums on the front of your truck from a 53-54 Chevy car. The inner and outer bearings are a combo of those used on the six bolt (original truck) and five bolt (53-54 car)drums. I can't remember which went where though. If I remember correctly I used the original shoes from the six bolt wheels. The car and truck shoes probably have the same part number.
ok, thanks for the information! I think we are gonna be working on brakes sometime next week (finally)

also the right front tire goes flat, we bellieve the rim is pitted, what would y'all do to try to stop the leak? I don't really want to have to buy new rims, but everybody seems to think I'm going to have to.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Last journal entry: 52 Chev Panel Baskett Case
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A good tire shop should be able to seal the rim with some tire goop or put an inner tube in it. Exhaust popping is sometimes caused by a bad exhaust valve. I couldn't see a muffler under your truck, what is on it now? Also I think you should wait a bit before starting to get your dress up goodies. You may decide to replace that exhaust completely.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olcarguy
A good tire shop should be able to seal the rim with some tire goop or put an inner tube in it. Exhaust popping is sometimes caused by a bad exhaust valve. I couldn't see a muffler under your truck, what is on it now? Also I think you should wait a bit before starting to get your dress up goodies. You may decide to replace that exhaust completely.
It's good to know, that it should be a easy fix for the tire.

The truck has a glasspack on it, and I know I should wait before getting accessories, but the tips where on sale for 6 buks a piece and I just couldn't pass em up. lol
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
The truck has a glasspack on it, and I know I should wait before getting accessories, but the tips where on sale for 6 buks a piece and I just couldn't pass em up. lol [/QUOTE]
Yep, you're no different than the rest of us.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Well, I figured I'd update, and also see if y'all can help me figure out whats wrong now.

We got new brake lines on it, and honed out the wheel cylinders and rebuilt them. Next project is master cylinder and the two right side tires go flat.

Now, for my newest problem, I went out to start it a few minutes ago and it won't start. It's the first time I have even touched it in about two weeks.

Anyway, I choked it and held the gas to the floor (like always) and it turned over but wouldn't even attempt to start. So I figured it was flooded, checked the plugs, and to my surprise it wasn't flooded. So I called my papaw who suggested trying starting fluid, sprayed it in, and it fired right up the second time it turned over....then died in about three seconds do to running out of starting fluid. So, my question to y'all is what could be wrong? Considering it has a new fuel pump, lines, and filter. And the fuel filter is about 3/4 full of gas and I poured about 3/4 gallon in the tank after I got asked by my mom and my papaw if it had gas in it (lol)
Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Mine did that when the fuel pump went out, but I was driving it at the time.

Maybe the fuel evaporated out of lines/pump while sitting and the pump will not prime? I have had that happen in the past on carbed cars.

I usually had to take a very small cap full of gas dump it in the carb. start it and it would run for a few seconds...repeat...repeat..and after a few times...the pump would prime again and it was good to go.

I have never used the starting fluid on anything. I have sprayed WD-40 (the old kind) into lawnmowers before. It is flammable and will usually get them to start.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM

I am pretty sure it's getting fuel ( to the filter anyway) because it was about 1/4 full then I tried starting it a few times it got a litle over 3/4 full. And I thought it might not be getting spark at first, but when I put the starting fluid in it ran for a few seconds, so I'm positive it's getting spark.

I don't like starting fluid, I like pouring gas down the carb better, but my parent's had a fit last time they saw me do it, and said it could backfire and catch on fire (I'm not doubting them, I just don't think it's as likely as they think it is)
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Oh it happens! When it does...it makes a mess and could be really bad. I saw one guy do it in a chevelle once. He poured about half a spray paint cap full down the huge 4 barrel. Guy in car hit key.....Boom!!!! Nice flames everywhere. Burnt the wiring and the paint off the hood where it hit. Bubbled the paint on the outside of the hood too.

I was just thankful he was not leaning over the carb when he poured it in. He had reached out and poured. That could have been deadly as huge of a fire ball that came out of it.

Can you unscrew the fuel line at the carb, stick it in a can or something...and have someone bump the key (with a coil wire off)? That would let you know if you are getting gas up there to the carb.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Yea, I have seen it shoot flames through the carb before, but it wasn't a lot, just enough to get your attention.

I might have to try that, Probably be Monday though, cause I'm going to a bluegrass festival tomorrow and Sunday, and it's dark already tonight.

If I'm getting gas up there, what should be my next thing to check? And what if I ain't getting gas to the carb?

and I really appreciate the quick responses
Old 10-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

If you are not getting gas there...back track down the system and check. Check to see if you are getting fuel to the pump itself (loosen the line and gas will leak). If not there...go back to the filter and check. Just keep working back to the tank.

I went all the way back to the float in the take before I realized the pump was bad on mine. Ever had a DUH!!! moment?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 PM

I'v had PLENTY of DUH moments.

We spent about 2-3 hours on mine before we realized the pump was bad.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

pouring gas down a carb does work better.. but do what I do, and use a clean oil pump can full of gas, and pump small amounts with that..

it does not take much to put a vehicle up in flames from pouring gas down a carb.. I have had it happen a couple times. it takes 1 hicchup and it will go off.. once was in our boat ( on the trailer, we had the water ears on it, and were trying to test run ) and it put the entire rear of the boat in flames ( out in 2-3 seconds due to having a Halon fire extinguisher ). and the other was with my Rambler.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 PM

I tired starting it again a few minutes ago when i got home. It started right up, ran 3-4 seconds, i let of the gas and touched it again and it died. I haven't had time to look at anything yet though, was gone all day today.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Alrighty, I figured it was time for a update!

We, got it running again, it was simply a clogged up fuel filter in the carb.

brakes are done, except for adjusting them just a tad more.

Next step is lights, and getting a bed put in it. Which brings me to my next problem, we are using plywood for the bed, which is to narrow to fit the bed, so we are planning on splitting in down the middle and leaving a one and a half inch gap in the middle, which we will cover with a metal strip or something. My question is, will just bolting the plywood to the side of the bed and running some brasses across support a load? or will we need to mount the brasses to the frame to to keep it from bending the bed? I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm completely clueless on this.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

There is a picture of his bed in the first post guys.

Mine has cross braces that are bolted to the frame. The wood sits on that and the bed bolts down through the wood and the braces.

Mine is a ford though, so asking here would be the best bet to get the correct information.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.