Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - questions on building a small block chevy
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

do you have any parts right now? What kind of HP are you looking for, just max that you can get?

Here's my two cents: People sell good stuff on ebay because they are willing to take a hit on it because they're broke and need the money (ha ha, not always, but my point is you can get some good deals). This means that you can get a good short-block all built and balanced for hundreds less than you can by gettin the stuff you yourself, tearing it down, machine work (there's the big price-tag right there, machine work) and parts. I got a 388 stroker balanced with scat crank and a damper for 690 all built on ebay. Has some nice slugs in it too.

You can get some budget parts at summit too. YOu might want to save some bills and get a summit cam. Weiand makes good intakes, I've done a lot of research lately and most people say for the price and the height of the RPM edelbrock (height meaning it doesn't fit under a lot of stock hoods) go with the stealth. THey perform about the same anyway. YOu could get a cheap set of headers from summit too, just coat them as best you can when you get them. HEI ignitions are good, if you have one use that. YOu can up the output for like 40 with an MSD module from summit. The big ticket item that is hard to get around are heads. Cheapest I've seen dart IE head for is 680 for the 180 cc.

You don't have to go nuts on bolts, but get good quality ones. I would say the same for gaskets, go felpro or mr. Gasket.

Hope this helps-

K