Questions on the Ford 4.6 DOHC and 5.4 DOHC - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 04:45 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

nightfire: How it works--Fuel Injection that is a link to a post schnitz made about how efi works, hope that helps if you go the efi route.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM

The 4.6 dohc came in Mark VIIIs, '96-'04 Cobra, Aviator, and Continental (front wheel drive, won't fit rear wheel trany). The 5.4 dohc came in the Navigator and GT (GT40).

The aluminum block 4.6 dohc has 6-bolt mains.

They're swapping the 4.6 dohc engines into all sorts of vehicles. You can even get a swap kit to put one in a Focus! And it all bolts in, even the mustang 8.8" rear axle.

I dropped one into my '98 Ranger and it really wasn't all that difficult.

Greg
Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey thanks oldschoolrods for the link good read. I'd rather not mess with EFI though, not on a tight budget. THanks guys,

Mike
Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

First let me say that I was a very die hard Chevy fan, and for years would consider nothing less........Then I got bored of always seeing the very popular and in most cases, boring Chevy 350/350 combo. I mean, come on....Hot Rods are suppose to be original in design and the owners interpitation of himself. Either we have a bunch of clones walking around or most just forgot the Hot Rod essences.

I was getting ready to start my current project, and started looking for an attractive alternative to the common V-8, I wanted a Ford for my Ford and started looking around. I didn't want anything carburated or overly popular, like the lack luster 5.0L Ford. Some think the Flathead is a good alternative, but even it too has been over used, especially lately. That Nailhead some seem to like, is also a pretty common and un-remarkable engine. I wanted my project to project the them of Old meets New, take the classic lines of the 33-34 Ford and combine them with the most modern conveniences available today. These means the most modern sequential electronic fuel injection systems of today. And I also wanted something that looked different, even if you had no ideal about modern engines, I wanted you to Say, wow, what is that! The only engine that meet all of my criteria, was the Ford 4.6L DOHC. Yes they do make a SOHC (single Over head Cam), but that is a much lower HP, less interesting engine, which is quite popular and easy to find. The DOHC, is really very rare, it was only used in the top of the line performance cars, from 94-2004. The early models were Lincoln's till 96, then they started putting them in Mustang Cobras. The early models have great aluminum blocks, Teksid, an Italian manufacturer that also makes Ferrir'es blocks. The 99 -2001 4V heads were refined and flowed better then the 96-98 heads. And the 2003-2004 heads are the best, and where only used on mostly supercharged engines, the exception being the NA Mach1.
I choose to buy a new 2004 Ford engine, a DOHC 32 valve super charged engine, by an Eaton blower. The engine factor puts out about 425HP, and has loads of torque. If you do run this engine, it is a tight fit, the block is not the problem, it's the heads. They are very wide, in fact they are wider then a Hemi head. The engine is state of the art, and if you follow engines much, most say the Ford guys copied the Ferrari V-8 which looks identical to the 4.6 DOHC, only the induction has been changed.

Installing this engine in a '33 ford frame, was not that bad, there are no engine mount kits available for the engine, but fabricating a set is relatively easy. The engine mounts have a large single stud, and that is easy to adapt. The engine is very heavy, probably the heaviest engine I have ever worked with, besides a Cummins diesel. The design is terrific, the block and bottom end are very, very robust. Each main cap has 4-bolts+2 bolts holes have alignment pins+ there are 2 bolts (one time torque to yield or jack bolts depends on year) that capture the main caps through the side of the block on each side. Also, all 5 main caps are the same, non of this 4-bolt mains on just the center three, like many other engines. There are many running these engines at over 1000HP with the stock block and stock forged Cobra crankshafts. Yes the COBRA or DOHC engines have Forged internals. The rods and pistons are forged H-beam Manly rod and pistons. The Crankshaft is forged with 8 bolts holding the fly wheel on, SOHC engines only have 6 bolts.
I simply love this engine, it has to be the best factory engine I have ever worked on, and it is my favorite out of all the engines I have, including my twin turbo-charged flat head. If you luck out and find a DOHC with the factory Eaton M112 blower, your not only lucky but you'll have a blast with this combination, especially mounted in a light weight rod. The main concern was the firewall clearance, like I said this engine is very wide at the heads. I had to purchase a Direct Sheet Metal BBC (big block Chevy) firewall and still section it 6", which is very considerable!!. The only other problem is the room for the steering shaft, but you will make it around that, with several u-joints.
The fun factor is out the window, this is one sweet engine, and it completes the Ford in a Ford ideal. If you are afraid of modern electronics, 1. do some reading and educate yourself. 2. Have someone else help you with that section. 3. get an old boring engine and follow the crowd.

For those wanting more information on the Cobra Engine or just wanting to follow Project COBRA'33 or Project Flathead visit the following link and follow the bottons.
www.proweldperformanceparts.com
Old 02-01-2008, 05:17 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here you go-

http://www.msdignition.com/2006/06-20.htm
Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM

ok i have a ?

ok my name is Brittni im from Texas my dad works at ford and i have a Lincoln mark v8 and im trying to find out if it would fit into a 1969 grand t. coupe mustang???if u know anything please let me know
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM

4.6 dohc

who carries an aftermarket wiring/comp kit for this engine? thanks

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.