questions for the guys who built 383s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 PM
this hobby is expensive!

Wiki Edits: 0

questions for the guys who built 383s

what exactly has to be done to a 350 block in order to build a 383?

and if i bought a rotating assembly kit for a 383 it comes with the pistions and rods, crank, flexplate, rings, and whatever else does all that come ready to go or do i need to have that crank machined as well? if i bought this kit would the block need any more machine work? or does buying the kit cancel all that out except for the cylinder boring? im a little lost on the stroker subject, its my first one.

if i bought a forged steel crank for a chevy 400 small block and the rods as well would i be better off just taking them to the machine shop with the 350 block and tell them what i want to build and let them machine it?

ill be honest i dont know a lot about the 383 stroker, i have a basic idea but im a perfectionist with my truck and im not touching this block or ordering one part until i know exactly what i need for it.

if anyone has any top end suggestions that would be cool too, id like to have roughly 450 - 475 horsepower. from what i understand the 383 can be a torque monster, which is good because its going in a all steel body 62 c-10 longbed...maybe. a mini tub may be done so i can get more rubber underneath the back end. id like to run it on pump gas too, but that is not a big deal.

thanks in advance for any information.

adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Installing a 3.75 stroke crank in a 350 block normally requires clearancing at the bottom of the cylinders and in some cases the pan rails. How much depends on the connecting rods used.

Clearancing the the rods/bolts is required to clear the camshaft if using 5.7 or longer rods. Scat and others make a rod that is profiled to clear the cam right out of the box.

You need at least .050 clearance everywhere throughout the cycle.

Best bet is preassemble the short block with the componets being used and slowly rotate the crankshaft with cam and timing set installed. Mark areas of contact or low clearance with a sharpie. These areas can now be relieved with a carbide bit on an air or electric tool of choice. DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY HERE....you can hit a water jacket. Be sure to reclean everything before final assembly.

I have had good luck with the Scat 9000 series cast steel cranks.

The rotating assembly should come ready to go except for balancing.

Lots and lots of info here...a search of this topic will turn up lots of reading.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I hope nobody takes offense to this.

A quick inquiry of, '383 stroker' in the "Search" function, would have given you more to read. It is getting to be more like an 'Encyclopedia' size of information.

JMO
Old 10-05-2008, 05:07 PM
this hobby is expensive!

thanks for the info guys...i tottaly spaced the search option. im gonna go check that out and prepare to read my *** off lol. thanks again

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.