Questions on M21 with broken gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Questions on M21 with broken gears

Hey guys I have two questions here I just picked up an M21 Muncie 4 speed it has a couple of broken teeth on what I believe to be 1st and 3rd would it be better to replace all 4 gears or just the two that have missing teeth? Also when I was checking out gears I found a rollerized 1st gear what is the point of this is it worth going with or should I just stick with the original style. Its going behind a 350ci right now and eventually a big block.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM

muncie m21

if none of the other gears are worn then leave them but be sure to check them good and no sense upgrading the 1st gear cause that tranny will handle a big block all day long hope this helps
Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Be sure that the cluster gear is undamaged. Check the other gears for wear pattern. Being old skool, I see no advantage to a roller 1st gear. Most of the damage to gears inflicted is from torque/impact and sticky tires. The aluminum case flexes under extreme conditions.

I drag raced a 4-speed big block car back in the day. When using Muncie, I had to have several backup trans ready. Changed to B/Warner based units and problems solved..
Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=BOBCRMAN@aol. When using Muncie, I had to have several backup trans ready. QUOTE]

I have checked all the teeth there is minimal wear but for the most part everything looked good except for those few teeth. What was the main problem you had with the muncie is there anything I can do to re enforce its weak spots?

Jon
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Rollerized 1st gear is used to reduce the friction/heat generated when the trans isnt in 1st gear. It allows the trans to run cooler, and probably frees up a small amount of power. Great for street cars, road course cars etc. Not good for dragracing; in theory, the hard launching of the car can flatten the needle rollers over time.
Is it an Auto Gear roller 1st?

We designed our version of the rollerized 1st to use a NEW 1st gear, specifically with the needle bearing; older versions (even available from GM I believe at one time) just punched a larger hole in a stock gear to accommodate the roller bearing, this screwed with the heat treatment of the gear and most didn't last long.

Make sure if you're buying an Auto Gear roller kit it comes with 4 parts: the correct gear for the rollerized 1st, the needle bearing, the spacer and the sleeve

Since you're in there, Id replace the whole gearset, gears tend to wear into each other and this can lead to noise and vibration. Also think about an iron midplate to add some strength to the factory case; if not a Supercase

Bobs right...check the cluster for nicks/wear and also verify that the gears arent worn unevenly
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Heres a modified PDF that explains how they work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scan001.pdf (1.14 MB, 62 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys you have been a great help I think im going to go ahead and replace all the gears and go with the roller 1st gear.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.