Questions for the MII IFS gurus - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Last journal entry: Been a while
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Questions for the MII IFS gurus

Looking at the various Mustang II IFS offerings in different publications I see that in some cases, vendors sell only the crossmember. While I understand the reason for different crossmembers for say a 56F100 vs 53Chevy, I take it that the upper and lower control arms are standard or common between the two? In other words you could use a "F" type crossmember and "H" type control arms? Why would you want to do that?

I take it that spring and shock (assuming no airbag) are determined by engine/transmission selection?

And finally, what type of spindles are used? Are they a "common" type or something special.

Thanks
Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

must 2 ifs

some companies make a 2 inch drop spindle toreplaces the stock one ...tubular lower arms can be stock replacement fit with a strut rod or a true A arm which required added bracket to the lower crosmember... you have a lot of choices for disc brakes I woulod always go for bigger brakes at least 11" rotors and the gM style calipers the granada calipers tend to stick and wear out one side of the rotor and pad The factory had about 11 different springs that fit the last time I looked. I don't know what is oem today but a lot of aftermarket stuff is available or coil overs or air bags... It's just more money.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

weld your own

There is a company in canads that makes a Must II kit that you can custom fit for cars not on the popular conversion list. the parts come flat and you bend and weld and trim to fit your frame. I have 48 nash and will probabaly do that if i don't sell the car first.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If a person had on hand MII spindles and locating arms he would only need the crossmember..MII parts maintain for the most part the geometry of the original MII so it is not an issue..

Spring and shock selection is made based on the weight of the completed car and the proposed use of the car..Competition will require a different spring and shock valving as compared to the fellow who wants a comfy ride for Sunday cruises..

The spindles used can be either stock ones or aftermarket depending on the desire of the owner..

Sam
Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Bill,

Some folks like to "customize" their front suspension to suit their specific needs. Unless you have a specific performance requirement, it's best to order a complete hub-to-hub kit from one manufacturer, including a sway bar. Typical MII kits will lower the front end by about 4 inches. If you want to slam it into the weeds, order a 2" drop spindle kit.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

even if you decide on a different manufacturer of your aftermarket bench, get the information about the weights and theory about the mustII from heidt's from their catalog or online,there's alot of good info there to help you understand how the bench should be designed, and weight distribution on a streetrod versus the stock application!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Last journal entry: Been a while
Last photo:

Thanks Guys! I have a much clearer picture now.

Crossmember is going to be different based on application. Arms and spindles are essentially the same, although I see some arms listed as narrower. Springs, shocks, steering rack, brakes, hubs, and sway bar are going to be dependent on use, weights, etc

Thanks again
Bill

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.