Questions on motor oil - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
As I used to use vr1 I know for a fact it is lacking in detergents. vr1 is not meant for the street and as such isn't meant to go 3000 miles between changes. Valvoline conventional or synthetic (regular stuff not vr1) and zddp additive will also work very well though.
As promised, here is a copy of the E-Mail I received from Valvoline.

"Comments:

I use VR-1 10W-30 in my flat tappet 383 SBC stroker. Does this product have a detergent/additive package that allows it to be used, strictly on the street, with an oil change interval of 3000-5000 miles?

Most Recent Update:

Good Morning Larry,

Thank you for contacting Valvoline Product Support regarding Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil.

The Valvoline VR-1 SAE 10W30 Racing Oil does have a detergent package that will provide service for three months or 3000 miles.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL for assistance. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline and have a great day.

Thank you,
Mike
Valvoline Product Support"

Still waiting for your proof to the contrary.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
Still waiting for your proof to the contrary.
It says right on their website in the very first bullet point: http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/racing-oil/

Quote:
What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.
In my experience, anything labeled and marketed as "race" means it is designed for a specific purpose. Speed/performance, NOT longevity. You want longevity for street applications.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM

I guess the tech guy who responded to me was mistaken, as far as the detergent package being ok, in street driving, for 3000 miles.

I will ask for additional clarification from Valvoline.

BTW. VR-1 is 'Street Legal'. The strictly racing oil is 'Not Street Legal' and I believe the detergent level in this oil is reduced.

Last edited by glen242; 04-07-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 AM

Last photo:

The TBN (total base number) is a good indicator of the amount of detergent in the oil and calcium (ca) is helps to neutralize the acids.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.