Questions on motor oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Questions on motor oil

Anyone know which engine oils have the zinc additive for flat tappet lifters and cams? I will be running a 1985 chevy 350 pick up with a summit cam .454 lift and 216 duration. I was told to use the additive from now on. I am not familiar with the additive but I do understand why. I know I can buy the additive from summit or other companies like edlebrock etc. in a 12 oz. bottlebut, just wondering if I can get a engine oil with the additive already in it. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Brad Penn Oil
http://www.penngrade1.com/
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarias-31
Anyone know which engine oils have the zinc additive for flat tappet lifters and cams? I will be running a 1985 chevy 350 pick up with a summit cam .454 lift and 216 duration. I was told to use the additive from now on. I am not familiar with the additive but I do understand why. I know I can buy the additive from summit or other companies like edlebrock etc. in a 12 oz. bottlebut, just wondering if I can get a engine oil with the additive already in it. Thanks
The short and easy answer is no. You can find oil that has the additives but they are usually down on detergents or other aspects and aren't good for street use. You can find oil that has all that you need but its mail order only, and expensive.

Buy the oil additive and run Mobil 1, its a GREAT combination for the street. The total for the oil change will run you around $40 if you do it yourself.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarias-31
You can find the oil you need at NAPA. Valvoline VR-1. Check the Valvoline web site for specs.

I would advise staying away from additives, as most oils do not recommend adding any other stuff to their oils. They say it upsets the additive package balance.

I use Valvoline VR-1 10W-30, and have for over 6 years, using a CC XE274H flat tappet cam in my stroker.

Unlike the 'Not Street Legal' Valvoline, the VR-1 has adequate Zinc and Phosphorus and an additive package designed for street car use.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
You can find the oil you need at NAPA. Valvoline VR-1. Check the Valvoline web site for specs.

I would advise staying away from additives, as most oils do not recommend adding any other stuff to their oils. They say it upsets the additive package balance.

I use Valvoline VR-1 10W-30, and have for over 6 years, using a CC XE274H flat tappet cam in my stroker.

Unlike the 'Not Street Legal' Valvoline, the VR-1 has adequate Zinc and Phosphorus and an additive package designed for street car use.
As I used to use vr1 I know for a fact it is lacking in detergents. vr1 is not meant for the street and as such isn't meant to go 3000 miles between changes. Valvoline conventional or synthetic (regular stuff not vr1) and zddp additive will also work very well though.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Mobil 1 15w50 has the zinc and phosphorous you need for a flat tappet cam, and its fairly easy to find at Advance Auto Parts and other stores. However, the big box stores (e.g. Walmart) do not carry it. The other grades of Mobil 1 do not have the same additive level, but some are close.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Mot...duct_Guide.pdf

Bruce
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

I know it's expensive, but Royal Purple and Amsoil both have high zinc oils for race engines that should work.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/racing-oil/
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huneycutt
I know it's expensive, but Royal Purple and Amsoil both have high zinc oils for race engines that should work.
not all royal purple products do, and how is the detergent level?

detergents are VERY important on a street vehicle and are not something to take for granted.

Mobil 15W-50 may have a higher zddp level BUT you are know using a much thicker oil than your engine may have been designed for. Viscosity is ALSO important.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Any oil that specifies it meets API Service SG/SH.
Motor oil standards are NOT backward compatible.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM

using the new pensoil ultra is the best out there right now in my opinion on oil but about the additives mail order is about the only way to get ahold of them you might be able to get them cheaper and in bigger bulk through ur local jiffylube.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:05 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Someone ought to make this info into a Crankshaft Coalition article. Just a thought...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
As I used to use vr1 I know for a fact it is lacking in detergents. vr1 is not meant for the street and as such isn't meant to go 3000 miles between changes. Valvoline conventional or synthetic (regular stuff not vr1) and zddp additive will also work very well though.
Since you "know for a fact" it is lacking in detergents, where did you get your information? Valvoline says it has a detergent package suitable for street use.

I E-Mailed a question concerning this to Valvoline. I will share their answer when I receive it.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen242
Since you "know for a fact" it is lacking in detergents, where did you get your information? Valvoline says it has a detergent package suitable for street use.

I E-Mailed a question concerning this to Valvoline. I will share their answer when I receive it.
For valvoline's response look at their website link that has already been posted. It says on their very own webpage that it has less detergents. Also, if you run the stuff its very apparent it has less detergents, I know that from experience with it.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Here is what is posted on the Valvoline web site.

Where does it say that VR-1 has less detergents? Please show me!

How is it apparent that it has less detergents? What should I be looking for? What kind of vehicle/engine did you run VR-1 in where it was apparent that it was lacking detergents?

VALVOLINE VR-1 RACING MOTOR OIL
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is a family of race-proven lubricants formulated to provide high load carrying characteristics, minimum foaming and maximum resistance to thermal degradation. Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service. Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is for use in any car, light truck, van, or SUV where API SN is recommended(see proper viscosity grade below).
Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches( use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil).
The Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil
The #1 selling Racing Oil of all time and race track proven.
Protects against high-temperature deposits for a cleaner engine.
ZDDP additive provides tough anti-wear protection.
Enhanced with fricition modifier to improve horsepower.
Formulated with enhanced anti-foam system.
Approvals/Performance Levels
Viscosity Grade/Other
API SN/SM/SL
- - - - - - 20W-50
API SH *
10W-30 20W-50
API CD/CF *
10W-30 20W-50
Test
10W-30
20W-50
Vis @ 100C (cSt)
Vis @ 40C (cSt)
Viscosity Index
Spec Gravity @ 60F
Density (lbs/gal)
Total Base No.
Flash COC (C)
Pour Point (C)
CCS cP (C)
6200(-25C)
8000(-15C)
MRV TP-1 cP (C)
20,000(-30C)
27,000(-20C)
Noack % off @ 250C
<15
<15
Sulfated Ash
Zinc/Phosphorus
0.14/0.13
0.14/0.13
Calcium
Sodium
* Obsolete category
This information only applies to products manufactured in the following location(s): USA, Canada
Effective Date:
Replaces:
Author's Initials:
Pages
Rev. Code
6-8-11
12-6-10
DJD

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.