Questions for old Dodge people - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2002, 06:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Questions for old Dodge people

Got a 47 Dodge coupe on a trade, not a bad looking old car, bone stock. Thinking about building rod out of it to sell to finance other projects. Found a 69 440 at a decent price, now my questions. Will a transmission out of a full size 85 van with 318 bolt up to this 440?? If I rebuild front suspension, put on disc brake kit, how will it ride?? What steering box will fit as the original has too much play??
Thanks, Jack

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2002, 01:43 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

woodsedge,

glad to see another mopar guy out there. i had a '48 dodge and now i'm working on a '47 plymouth. Anyway, i don't think the tranny will bolt up to the big block. Also, i think you will have a hard time with the steering box. There is not a lot of room between the rails on these frames. I am going to put in a 360 in my car. The car i got the engine from had about 41"? between the frame rails, and it had a steering box. Our frames are quite a bit narrower. I would try and fit a power steering rack on there to save space. I think the suspension should be ok. These cars ride very comfortably. But, there is a lot of body roll. You could probably change out the rubber bushings and maybe put on a heavier sway bar on the front. If your car is like mine, then the swaybar is very small, only about 5/8" diam. If you need a brake kit you can go to <a href="http://www.mpbrakes.com" target="_blank">www.mpbrakes.com</a> or contact PlyDo, they have a brake kit which uses original spindles with GM calipers and Chrysler rotors. Kit is about $200.

Later,

JB
Old 07-16-2002, 06:58 PM

JP, thanks for the reply. What transmission will work with the 440. I have a 360 and trans. but engine needs rebuilding. I can buy the 440 with 3000 miles for $450. Can't rebuild the 360 for that. Also, I have thought about a rack, do you know what works?? I haven't even pulled the original 6cyl out yet. Just checking and making plans. This will be my first Mopar buildup, I did have a 64 Fury with a 426 wedge. I've kicked myself for years for letting that one go.
Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

Jack,

that '64 sounds awesome. That would be a nice ride to have today. I guess on your 440 you'll have to find a 727/747 torqueflite. Not sure what else will work on there. I haven't done anything with my car yet for steering. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I was thinking about making a crossmember for the engine mounts and the attaching the rack to that somehow. I don't think it is impossible, just needs some good planning.

Later,

JB

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.