Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Questions for paint guys - body show messed up my car
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I work with customers every day in a very large body shop and I have to tell you that line "every body shop would have some flaws" is the WORSE, you can't getting anymore wrong in something to say to a customer. The guy is a moron. If there is a flaw, something that is not a quality control "part issue" then you FIX IT. Even a factory flawed part gets fixed if it can. Somethings can't like a flawed chrome piece or plastic lense or something like that. We will order another, if it is flawed in the same way, than that is out of our control. But even a poor fitting new GM fender or something like that, we would massage it until it fits, if that requires repainting, so be it. The customer MUST be happy with the work.

When it comes to customer service, even when the customer is wrong, we make it right, PERIOD.

No, every bodyshop wouldn't be leaving parts off.

You know what cracks me up about this guy, when I am delivering a car to a customer and they see something as stupid as the bodyman left the friggin seal out of the door or that foam off, I am EMBARRASSED! I am not about to try and "talk my way out of it". It is a friggin IGNORANT thing for the bodyman to do and I am EMBARRASSED. I WILL make that good, I don't care what has to be done, but it will be done NOW. If the original is lost (likely the foam is lost) then a new one is ordered, if it is days away it is next day aired on our dime. Something as IGNORANT as this, are you kidding me? We take care of it NOW so we don't look any more IGNORANT than forgetting it in the first place!

Does it happen? Yes, I have been delivering cars with stuff this stupid wrong. And YES I am embarrassed and take care of it RIGHT NOW!

Good luck, and I have been amazed at how the GM customer service dept WILL make things happen.

We were working on an SSR and was told by the parts dept that the chrome grille was discontinued. This is a VERY good parts man who will find us just about anything. So if he says it, it's true. So my employer (a lady) gets on the phone with GM customer service and I am thinking "Yeah right, go ahead and waste your time". I walked out of the office for something and forgot all about it. The next day over the production meeting she says that GM called her back and said that some of these chrome grilles had been "released". I called my parts guy, he checked again and the friggin grille was available!

So YES, the GM customer service my very well help you.

Brian