Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - questions on painting
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

questions on painting

Jcclark, what is a seal coat of 50/50 epoxy? Is that primer? Does it help fill blimishes in body work? Also we did some body work on a few dents and rust under rear fenders. When we sprayed it with sandable primer we got in a can from auto parts we can see the body filler a little through the primer. I was wondering if the paint covers this or do we need to do more prep work. We used 80 grit to take paint and primer off and then we used 180 to get out the scratches. Then, we put the filler on and rough sanded again with 100 grit and then used 180 again. I know we need to go over the whole thing again probably with 400 to get out the scratches. What should be the final grit? I was thinking 1000 but not sure. I feel like we feathered the filler in pretty good. We are trying to get the bed completely done before we start on the cab, then the front. This is the reason we are waiting to do a final sanding so we can concentrate on the whole bed with a finer grit. Is this a good way to attack the paint job for 2 begginers?