Questions for those in North Carolina about hot rod laws and registration. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Questions for those in North Carolina about hot rod laws and registration.

Hi, new here. My name is Phil and I'm planning on having a custom 71 Plymouth Cuda built over the next couple of months and I have some worries.

I want to shave the turn signals off of the front and rear fenders. The only remaining signals would be the brake lights in the rear (probably replaced with LED variety) and the two signals on either side of the lower front valance panel.

I can't really find any solid information on the legality of turn signal and reflector requirements in NC. Anybody have firsthand experience? I don't want to have a custom car built and start racking up tickets or not pass inspection or get a block on my registration or license renewal because I had some custom work done to my car.

If worse comes to worse and there are problems with shaving the signal lights, I was tempted to do a custom touch where the 71 fender gills would be retrofitted to have the turn signals built into them, but even that may not be sufficient.

Also, I've never owned a vintage or custom car before and I've never had one titled. How much do you really have to customize before they require you to list the car as a custom build? The 440 I use may not be year correct, but the whole drivetrain and transmission is going to be Mopar stuff (440-6, 833 4 speed, Dana 60 rear). The only serious custom touches to the car are going to be the shaved door handles, signals and having large modern wheels and tires on the car.

Titling is one hurdle, then inspections are another. I assume older cars don't have to pass smog, but still have to pass the laundry list of safety and mechanical standards. I've searched online, but haven't found much relating directly to hot rod style changes. The closest I came is reading about blue dot tail lights, which I don't plan to do.

I'd post this on my usual Mopar forum, but they'd find my modifications sacreligious or simply don't know because the vast majority of those guys have relatively stock builds.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Last journal entry: Roller Rockers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If they fall under your NC vehicle safety inspection, you are exempt. Here is a link:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...uirements.html

You may also find info on titling there too. You can always just call your DMV.

I know it's your choice, but why chop up a 'Cuda? Nothing else available or are there so many sitting around in NC?
Old 06-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

It's not going to be butchered really. I'm not tubbing it or anything like that. I just like the smooth look like the Cuda Trepanier made for Joe Rogan.

It's also a base model Barracuda that will be upgraded to Cuda level engine and drivetrain. I'd never cut up a real 'Cuda grade car.

Fender top signals gone, front and rear fender signals gone, door handles gone, antenna hole gone, trunk lock relocated behind the rear license plate, AAR hood (no hood pins), AAR spoiler, elastomeric bumpers with the front license notch removed (filled in). No badging of any kind either. No Plymouth emblem, no 'Cuda, no 440-6, no billboard stripes. Nothing. If I actually bite the bullet and get it made, it should be a really slick car.

Thanks for the title info. It's at least good to know an inspection won't catch the lack of turn signals. I'm about to dig into the "how to title my hot rod" thread now.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Last journal entry: Roller Rockers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I was just giving ya a hard time. Good luck with the build and keep us updated. We LOVE to see other peoples work!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.