Questions on V8 s-10 suspension for V-8 beetle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 09:21 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Questions on V8 s-10 suspension for V-8 beetle

Hello everyone, as some of you guys know Iím building a V8 powered 69 convertible bug on an S-10 chassis.

Being that the chassis has 212,000 miles on it Iím planning on basically rebuilding the front suspension, and may do a few upgrades along the way. I just had a few questions and hoped I could get a little help.

First of all the chassis was from a 92 2wd 2.8L v6 standard cab if that makes any difference. Also I have the 350 mounted about 6" further towards the rear than a normal V8 s10 conversion.

Also Iím not planning on racing the car at all, its just going to be a toy for messing around with and cruising. Iíd like it to handle pretty good, but at the same time Iíd like the ride to be fairly comfortable. (otherwise the wife might complain LOL) Cost is also a bit of an issue, I canít go dropping tons of cash in the front suspension (mostly because I donít have it LOL) but if I have to Iíll wait and save rather than throwing crap on it.

First off I figured Iíd replace the springs being that they have over 200,000 miles on them. Being that I now have a 350 sitting up front instead of the 2.8L should I upgrade to stiffer springs, or will stock springs work just fine???? I just donít want the front end to be ďmushyĒ because of the extra weight, etc. Also Iím planning on sticking with stock height springs, if I do drop it any Iíll go with some 2Ē drop spindles so I donít screw up the geometry at all. Iím just not sure if Iíll need the drop though.

How about shocks, anybody have any they love or hate??? Are Stock OEM shocks ok, or would something stiffer be better???????

The main reason for asking about the shocks and springs right now is because someone on the local craigslist has a set of brand new OEM S-10 springs and shocks that I could pick up cheap.

Now how about Upper control arms??? Iím thinking of at least putting tubular uppers on to save on room and theyíd look nicer. Maybe lowers too if I could find some cheap(er)???

What are you guys using for tubular control arms on the S-10s, anything thatís not too pricy??? Do any/most/some/none of the g-body control arms work or are there others that are interchangeable??? I canít afford to spend $500 on a set of uppers, are there cheaper ones that would work for my application??? If not I may have to stick with stock.

Iíve seen these on ebay and they caught my eye (because I could afford them LOL)
Are they any good or just plain old crap???
http://tinyurl.com/ykapod7

and these http://tinyurl.com/yzgp8vy

I also I figured Iíd upgrade the front sway bar, but that will be easy enough to do later on.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

as light as the body is gonna be i wouldnt go any heavier spring at first. i dont think the springs you have are worn out yet. i would use a heavier shock, i like doetsch shocks, summit racing has them. circle track racing catalogs have them adjustable 40/60 50/50 60/40.
your upper a arms are right here http://www.daymotorsports.com/produc...ER-CONTROL-ARM
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

All of the same era Malibus, lemans, camaro, control arms were the same as my '82 S-10 chassis. As far as springs go I've run the stock springs in my V8 S-10 for 10 years now and the truck handles really well.

I did the drop spindles as well a few years ago and a bigger sway bar, as far as trucks go it handles good, aside from the rear end trying to go around you when you really get on the loud pedal, it can be a real hand full.

bonuts
Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonuts
All of the same era Malibus, lemans, camaro, control arms were the same as my '82 S-10 chassis. As far as springs go I've run the stock springs in my V8 S-10 for 10 years now and the truck handles really well.

I did the drop spindles as well a few years ago and a bigger sway bar, as far as trucks go it handles good, aside from the rear end trying to go around you when you really get on the loud pedal, it can be a real hand full.

bonuts
im just curious, what was the motor originally in your truck? a 2.8 or 4.3? does it bottom out alot? because when i tried the stock 2.8 springs mine did.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Mine was a 2.8, and I've never had issues with bottoming out. Because of years of racing I have a spring rate tester. We tested my S10 spring years ago, and I'm pretty sure they were around a 325lb spring, no guarantees though that was atleast 5 years ago.

bonuts
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys, I also found the control arms at speed way motors and also a couple places on ebay. For now I think I'll just stick with the stock springs I already have in the chassis and if it doesn't seem like I need stiffer springs then I'll get a new set of stock springs if it seems like I need something stiffer I'll upgrade then.

My spare 66 beetle is getting sold on ebay today and I'll have atleast enough money now to get the control arms, and I'll probably pick up all 4 ball joints, wheel bearings and such, and I'll still have enough left over to pick up some steel to start working on getting the body mounted to the frame and work on the floor too.

Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbhover
Thanks for the help guys, I also found the control arms at speed way motors and also a couple places on ebay. For now I think I'll just stick with the stock springs I already have in the chassis and if it doesn't seem like I need stiffer springs then I'll get a new set of stock springs if it seems like I need something stiffer I'll upgrade then.

My spare 66 beetle is getting sold on ebay today and I'll have atleast enough money now to get the control arms, and I'll probably pick up all 4 ball joints, wheel bearings and such, and I'll still have enough left over to pick up some steel to start working on getting the body mounted to the frame and work on the floor too.

Thanks again!
speedway motors has springs with alot of spring rates to choose from.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.