Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Questions for wiped lobe victims & engine gurus
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Other factors are important also. Valve spring pressures have great importance. Along with proper clearances in the valve train. Lifter types also can determine wear characteristics. Proper break in is the next big thing.

MOST wiped lobes I have seen on aftermkt cams in the last forty plus years of building are caused by the installer!! (yes! I have lost a couple myself)

As a matter of fact. Just yesterday I was called to do a check out on an Isky. The owners were experianced circle track guys.

But, here was the scenerio. They had no idea what kind of spring pressure they had. The aluminum roller rockers were binding on he valve retainers. They had an earlytiming set in a late model block and the poor double roller Cloyes had milled the center block oiling boss back at least 3/8".

The cam was too far forward when assembled because of the improper timing set. Lifters no rotate,, lifters wipe out cam..

You will notice that long gentle moderate lifts (most factory cams) promote long life. But if everything is not correct in the engine they will not last.