Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - quick clutch install question
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

quick clutch install question

So im changing the clutch on my 94 dodge cummins truck. somebody changed the clutch before me and they put a needle bearing in in place of the stock pilot bushing. the needle bearing came out in peices, probably never got any grease. So the problem is that the portion of the input shaft on the trans that accepts the pilot bushing is all grooved up and not strait anymore. Not the end of the world but id sure like some suggestions from you guys, im sure many of you have run into similar issues. Im heading to the machine shop tomorrow to do the flywheel, maybe they can help me out?

and another quick question, last time i did a clutch on my chevy i put a needle bearing in instead of a bushing which im not really concerned with, i dont expect clutches to last forever in that truck and i put grease on the bearing unlike whoever did the clutch in my dodge, but what do you guys prefer? I would think the bushing would be the way to go on my low hp daily driver truck , wouldn't it outlast a bearing?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.