Quick computer/browser question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quick computer/browser question

Hey guys. Im no good with computers, so here goes. I have Firefox browser and a square flatscreen monitor. For whatever reason, photos on the internet look very squished side to side, as if everything is smartcarish.

Anyone know how to change that? Makes looking at cars rather interesting.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

First I'd have to ask if it does it on IE too and if it's only a few websites or all of them. If they look wrong after say downloading them your comp screen resoulution has to be changed to fit the screen size.

Please send an example link so we can see if they are displaying properly also in our browsers, I have all of them on my comp.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

So, they are the same in IE. If I save a picture from the internet to my computer, the picture is still wonky. Yet pictures that I have imported from my Digital Camera seem fine.

For example http://www.dragtimes.com/images/5068...%20Supreme.jpg this cutlass's sail panel looks as tall as the trunk is long.

Its like that for every picture online, pictures I posteda long time ago on a different computer which looked fine at the time, now look squished.

Thanks alot!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

What version of windows?

I would agree that Only Racing is on the right track.
You said you have a flat screen, what specific brand/model is it? Is it a lcd flat panel?
Once we know that we can look up the correct resolution (desktop size) for the monitor and set (or verify) it is correct.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

Find out what your monitor resolution is in your user monitor's manual or on the box it came in. Then, minimize all applications, right click the desktop, select whichever tab is for setting screen size, then set it for your monitors resolution, ie 1440x990 or whatever.

At this point, everything will display in the proper aspect ratio.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2333
Find out what your monitor resolution is in your user monitor's manual or on the box it came in. Then, minimize all applications, right click the desktop, select whichever tab is for setting screen size, then set it for your monitors resolution, ie 1440x990 or whatever.

At this point, everything will display in the proper aspect ratio.
Bluesman has it right if all the photos look wrong in your browser and on the comp also only in certain applications. Your operating system has many defaults that sometimes don't play nice with the new high res monitors, a 16:9 or 16:10 monitor will distort these images to try and fit into the resolution you're using, which was probably the standard 102X768 which is a 4:3 resolution. Follow Buesmans instructions and set to monitor default which may make letters hard to read since it's much higherbut everything will be in proportion.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Some pics will come out alright and some will show stretched to fit your monitor. It all depends on the monitor resolution and your picture resolution. If you have a higher resolution pic it normally shows up larger and will be more in relationship to your monitor. It may be distorted somewhat, but not as bad as a lower resolution picture. I'm wanting to say the "size to aspect ratio" but not quite sure at the moment if that is the correct term. I downloaded a Caddy for wallpaper the other day and it made a heck of a stretch out of it. You also say that your monitor is square? Mine is wider than it is tall so that is the way it stretches. You can go into your settings by right clicking on your "Desktop", then click on "Properties. When you get to the next window, left click on the tab that says "desktop". Look to the right of that window and you will see an area called "position". It will probably say "stretch". If you change that to where it says "Center" it will bring the aspect ratio of your picture to normal, but it will leave a border around your picture. You can also click on the tab that says "Settings" then adjust your "Screen Resolution" in the window that pops up. By going "Less" will bring your wallpaper sides in but it will also change the size of web pages.

Here is a pic of the Caddy that I dropped onto my wallpaper. I just haven't changed it yet to something that fits

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

BMM - to change resolution/screen size you need to 1.Go into Control Panel, 2. Click on display, 3. Click on Setting then on the bottom left, you will see screen resolution - click on that and play around a bit. With a wide screen monitor, I'm not sure they are ever right in the 16x9 mode. I have Firefox on the desktop with a Samsung wide monitor - and my pictures look poor (I have a photo of my wife where she looks like she is about 300# except she is only about 135# in real life but on my regular screen laptop, they are fine - it also is running Firefox. I do need to spend some more time on adjusting the desktop since it is a much better computer - I built it myself with premium pieces. It was just upgraded with a new and faster CPU and motherboard and now the resolution is off - again.

Dave W
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

Kevin45, BMM is talking about images displaying properly on the web browser, not the desktop wallpaper.

Irelands child, my advice is correct and simpler than going to the control panel, it does the same thing. Images will display with the correct aspect ratio on your screen if you select it from the menu of available resolution choices. If your resolution is not listed, you need to use the driver disk that came with the monitor.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 AM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2333
Kevin45, BMM is talking about images displaying properly on the web browser, not the desktop wallpaper.

Irelands child, my advice is correct and simpler than going to the control panel, it does the same thing. Images will display with the correct aspect ratio on your screen if you select it from the menu of available resolution choices. If your resolution is not listed, you need to use the driver disk that came with the monitor.
Blues, I've also found through my own diminished capacity as a buyer looking for prices, the Hannspree monitor I have supports a 16:10 ratio also but I can force a 16.9 into it through my video card. I miss my 4:3 setting, lol.

Blues will tell you too, that it's a fast track in that way, the wallpaper thing is just change to center instead of fit or stretch. You can tell this by the size of the folders in your screenshot, which is correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.