Hot Rod Forum banner

Quick and dirty front end alignment

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
My chassis came with a rather hastily assembled Mustang II front end. I'm pretty sure it's not even close.

Anyone know of an on-line guide for getting the front end close enough to run down the road to the local tire and brake shop for a real alignment?

Thanks.

#3 ·
digital level

I have a sears digital level
Craftsman 10 in. Digital LaserTrac® Level - Gifts - Gift Finder - The Do-It Yourselfer if your garage floor is flat and level you can get very close, the level has magnets in the base. . cut a piece of flat steel bar stock long enough to span across the rim to check camber. for the toe in shoot the laser toward the front onto a cardboard box and square down to the floor each side mark the spot then move the box farther back and make the marks and measure. camber and toe will let you get to the alignment shop with out scuffing the tires. a Friend used to do the 4 wheel alignment on his 427 cobra in his garage. He didn't want some kid denting the aluminum body or sneaking a test drive. He used string , a carpenters level , tape measure. He had all 4 wheels pointing in different directions when he set the road race course track record at MIS.

#6 ·
I haven't had a car to an alignment shop in years...partly because of having paid to have it done and then checking their work and finding out it was not what I asked for. Better to use above methods or come up with your own and spend an evening doing it yourself. Modern shop tools save time but are not necessarily more accurate, and it will be the operator (or his boss) who decides if he's going to do a good job for you, or not.

In any event you can limp a car to the alignment shop by just getting toe-in close, which can be sighted down the side of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.