Quick easy question .i've fo--- - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 346
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 63
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quick easy question .i've fo---

My disc brakes in front on my s-10 clipped 49 ford . When i hit the binders and then let off, the kar is not using one side of the front discs, to stop the kar . The left one is stopping the kar.that means the right is not working or vice -versa. Simple i know . Darn brain ain't screwed on right this am thanks for the quickie bob s:

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 246
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
brakes

well, that could be several things. Could be a pinched line on the right side, or could be a defective caliper that is froze and not engaging. Could be very worn pads and rotor. I'd pull that wheel and examine what you've got going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to snakebit68 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (07-30-2013)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 346
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 63
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
well, that could be several things. Could be a pinched line on the right side, or could be a defective caliper that is froze and not engaging. Could be very worn pads and rotor. I'd pull that wheel and examine what you've got going on

Fresh build 10 years ago no miles on it.I am thinking after your reply the caliper is froze, on the right side.Thats what i was looking for.The left is working so the kar pulls to the left.then when it you let off, the right wheel takes the kar off to the right. bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 246
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Brakes

Yes...that sounds like its the culprit then, especially since you have no miles on it. But, in my defense, I didn't know those particular facts at the time of my reply. That being duly noted, I would again say right front caliper is siezed in the open position. You may be able to pull that caliper apart and free it up by pulling the piston cups apart and using some emory clothe to clean out the rust and debri in the cups and on the pistons. I would recommend you do this to both sides to keep from having this problem on that side as well. Sitting seems to do more damage to cars then driving them. Good luck with your repairs...it won't be too difficult. It couldn't hurt to spray some "liquid wrench" on those moving parts of your calipers, let it set for an hour, tap gently with a hammer to break loose any corrosion, and then try pumping your brakes and seeing if that will free it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to snakebit68 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (07-30-2013)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 346
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 63
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
Yes...that sounds like its the culprit then, especially since you have no miles on it. But, in my defense, I didn't know those particular facts at the time of my reply. That being duly noted, I would again say right front caliper is siezed in the open position. You may be able to pull that caliper apart and free it up by pulling the piston cups apart and using some emory clothe to clean out the rust and debri in the cups and on the pistons. I would recommend you do this to both sides to keep from having this problem on that side as well. Sitting seems to do more damage to cars then driving them. Good luck with your repairs...it won't be too difficult. It couldn't hurt to spray some "liquid wrench" on those moving parts of your calipers, let it set for an hour, tap gently with a hammer to break loose any corrosion, and then try pumping your brakes and seeing if that will free it up.
I took what you said to heart.went out there after dinner. She pushed the b pedal while the front end was up, Heres what i found, the right front ...when spun by hand, stops that wheel instantly when she applied the pedal.The left side[the one i thought was good........when you turn it, it has A pretty good drag on it, i can't make it spin by hand, as per the other side. You think the left side caliper, is sticking,~~~ after what i said here. ....instead of the right ...the left is binding .So thats the culprit caliper. ok bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 246
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
brakes

yes, that could very well be the cause. Could be the left side dragging...do the same remedy I prescribed for the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to snakebit68 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (07-30-2013)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 346
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 63
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again thank you for your help have a good week bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM
NEW INTERIORS's Avatar
Believe in yourself !!!!!!
 

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In My Shop..
Age: 49
Posts: 10,096
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,248
Thanked 549 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
I took what you said to heart.went out there after dinner. She pushed the b pedal while the front end was up, Heres what i found, the right front ...when spun by hand, stops that wheel instantly when she applied the pedal.The left side[the one i thought was good........when you turn it, it has A pretty good drag on it, i can't make it spin by hand, as per the other side. You think the left side caliper, is sticking,~~~ after what i said here. ....instead of the right ...the left is binding .So thats the culprit caliper. ok bob s
Sounds like you may have a bad hose on the left side... Brake the bleeder loose and see if you can turn it any better.. If so.. Change the hose on that side..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 346
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 63
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My brake ??again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Sounds like you may have a bad hose on the left side... Brake the bleeder loose and see if you can turn it any better.. If so.. Change the hose on that side..

WELLLLL!I installed a new caliper on the left side]we thought it was dragging, .....Now i have driven it down town..and its doing the very same.thing as before. you hit the pedal and it veers to right, Its in the body shop getting a $300.00 scratch taken care of........DOOoooo....



to my backing by 49 into the Damn ladder, holding hook.... sticking out.Needless to say, i have a couple days to kill. When it returns home.I will try this left brake hose like you say ,before ..i tear it apart again. Some where years ag in my travels......i thought i remember and old mechanic; telling me this. He shared with me that"When ever you buy front calipers....BY BOTH SIDES AS A pair/ does this stir up any memories of this phrase.maybe i just imagined it??/

Last edited by bsa_bob; 08-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
poncho62's Avatar
Out of the Loop Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hanover, Ontario, Canada
Age: 62
Posts: 16,892
Wiki Edits: 5

Thanks: 20
Thanked 257 Times in 210 Posts
For the price of them, I would replace both calipers and hoses
__________________
Ontario Rodders

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (08-05-2013)
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
bsa_bob's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: britton mich
Posts: 346
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 63
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah you may be right,. to do it that way, Guess i'll have to wait. my scratch in the paint hit me up for $300.00 that'll sting for abit thanks for the reply and the help poncho69 bob s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick & easy theft deterent? 327NUT Hotrodding Basics 13 02-27-2011 11:07 AM
Quick & Easy Custom Paint Colors (video) jimmo Body - Exterior 5 08-10-2009 08:46 AM
need help quick easy ? i need to know cam break in steps blazin_kustums Engine 5 03-08-2008 01:31 PM
Quick easy clearcoat question STATUTORY GRAPE Body - Exterior 5 03-21-2007 03:22 PM
quick question very easy mojonelo117 Engine 13 08-30-2006 01:29 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.