Quick easy question .i've fo--- - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quick easy question .i've fo---

My disc brakes in front on my s-10 clipped 49 ford . When i hit the binders and then let off, the kar is not using one side of the front discs, to stop the kar . The left one is stopping the kar.that means the right is not working or vice -versa. Simple i know . Darn brain ain't screwed on right this am thanks for the quickie bob s:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

brakes

well, that could be several things. Could be a pinched line on the right side, or could be a defective caliper that is froze and not engaging. Could be very worn pads and rotor. I'd pull that wheel and examine what you've got going on
The Following User Says Thank You to snakebit68 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
well, that could be several things. Could be a pinched line on the right side, or could be a defective caliper that is froze and not engaging. Could be very worn pads and rotor. I'd pull that wheel and examine what you've got going on

Fresh build 10 years ago no miles on it.I am thinking after your reply the caliper is froze, on the right side.Thats what i was looking for.The left is working so the kar pulls to the left.then when it you let off, the right wheel takes the kar off to the right. bob s
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Brakes

Yes...that sounds like its the culprit then, especially since you have no miles on it. But, in my defense, I didn't know those particular facts at the time of my reply. That being duly noted, I would again say right front caliper is siezed in the open position. You may be able to pull that caliper apart and free it up by pulling the piston cups apart and using some emory clothe to clean out the rust and debri in the cups and on the pistons. I would recommend you do this to both sides to keep from having this problem on that side as well. Sitting seems to do more damage to cars then driving them. Good luck with your repairs...it won't be too difficult. It couldn't hurt to spray some "liquid wrench" on those moving parts of your calipers, let it set for an hour, tap gently with a hammer to break loose any corrosion, and then try pumping your brakes and seeing if that will free it up.
bsa_bob (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
Yes...that sounds like its the culprit then, especially since you have no miles on it. But, in my defense, I didn't know those particular facts at the time of my reply. That being duly noted, I would again say right front caliper is siezed in the open position. You may be able to pull that caliper apart and free it up by pulling the piston cups apart and using some emory clothe to clean out the rust and debri in the cups and on the pistons. I would recommend you do this to both sides to keep from having this problem on that side as well. Sitting seems to do more damage to cars then driving them. Good luck with your repairs...it won't be too difficult. It couldn't hurt to spray some "liquid wrench" on those moving parts of your calipers, let it set for an hour, tap gently with a hammer to break loose any corrosion, and then try pumping your brakes and seeing if that will free it up.
I took what you said to heart.went out there after dinner. She pushed the b pedal while the front end was up, Heres what i found, the right front ...when spun by hand, stops that wheel instantly when she applied the pedal.The left side[the one i thought was good........when you turn it, it has A pretty good drag on it, i can't make it spin by hand, as per the other side. You think the left side caliper, is sticking,~~~ after what i said here. ....instead of the right ...the left is binding .So thats the culprit caliper. ok bob s
Old 07-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

brakes

yes, that could very well be the cause. Could be the left side dragging...do the same remedy I prescribed for the other side.
bsa_bob (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Again thank you for your help have a good week bob s
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
I took what you said to heart.went out there after dinner. She pushed the b pedal while the front end was up, Heres what i found, the right front ...when spun by hand, stops that wheel instantly when she applied the pedal.The left side[the one i thought was good........when you turn it, it has A pretty good drag on it, i can't make it spin by hand, as per the other side. You think the left side caliper, is sticking,~~~ after what i said here. ....instead of the right ...the left is binding .So thats the culprit caliper. ok bob s
Sounds like you may have a bad hose on the left side... Brake the bleeder loose and see if you can turn it any better.. If so.. Change the hose on that side..
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

My brake ??again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Sounds like you may have a bad hose on the left side... Brake the bleeder loose and see if you can turn it any better.. If so.. Change the hose on that side..

WELLLLL!I installed a new caliper on the left side]we thought it was dragging, .....Now i have driven it down town..and its doing the very same.thing as before. you hit the pedal and it veers to right, Its in the body shop getting a $300.00 scratch taken care of........DOOoooo....

to my backing by 49 into the Damn ladder, holding hook.... sticking out.Needless to say, i have a couple days to kill. When it returns home.I will try this left brake hose like you say ,before ..i tear it apart again. Some where years ag in my travels......i thought i remember and old mechanic; telling me this. He shared with me that"When ever you buy front calipers....BY BOTH SIDES AS A pair/ does this stir up any memories of this phrase.maybe i just imagined it??/

Last edited by bsa_bob; 08-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

For the price of them, I would replace both calipers and hoses

Budget RVs
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Yeah you may be right,. to do it that way, Guess i'll have to wait. my scratch in the paint hit me up for $300.00 that'll sting for abit thanks for the reply and the help poncho69 bob s

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.