Quick help with paint question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quick help with paint question.

I read this article:

http://hotrodders.com/kb/body-exteri...st_flames.html

I have my car currently in a paint shop getting ghosted flames. I have an Arctic white 97 Grand Prix with a cowl hood from ASCD and wanted ghost flames. Now, when I just talked to the folks painting it, he told me the guy doing the taping for the flames had a funeral to attend and that he was not finished. So we discuss where they are at in the process.

Tells me they have taped the car off, ready to tape for flames. So I asked why they weren't going to paint the base first, then flames, then clear. By the way, flames will be pearl white. He says if I do it that way, the flames won't be ghost flames and will be very visible. But he says they will do what I ask, and I told them I wanted base, flames, clear.

So my question is, if the pearl ghost flames go under the Arctic white, will they even be noticeable at all or does the pearl need to go over the arctic white base and then cleared? How visible will these pearl flames be?

I am not a paint dude and don't pretend to be, but I know what i want in my head and I am afraid the pearl flames under the white won't be noticeable at all. Can someone offer me some insight here and maybe pictures of a white car/truck with ghosted pearl white flames and the order the job was done? As I said, from reading the article, it seems to me that it should be base, pearl flames, clear. Or pearl mixed with clear. Thank you very much for any help anyone is able to offer!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Last photo:

I am by no means a paint expert, but how in the world are flames going to show through an artic white base . Every ghost flame I have ever seen being applied has been on the base then clear coated.

Vince
Old 07-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Maybe You Misunderstood Him,if You Have A White Car All You Should Have To Do Is Scuff With Grey Pad, Tape Flames Out, Shoot Pearl, Untape Then Clear, There Would Be No Need To Rebase The Arctic White If It Is In Good Shape, You Should Be Able To Scuff It An Put Your Pearl Over It, Hope This Helps, Mike.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat
Maybe You Misunderstood Him,if You Have A White Car All You Should Have To Do Is Scuff With Grey Pad, Tape Flames Out, Shoot Pearl, Untape Then Clear, There Would Be No Need To Rebase The Arctic White If It Is In Good Shape, You Should Be Able To Scuff It An Put Your Pearl Over It, Hope This Helps, Mike.
The reasoning behind the base is because the hood is just gel coated fiberglass. It would need to be blended with the fenders, for an even look, I would think, then ghosted flames, then clear.

Is that not the proper way or am I just basicly missing the point?

Byt he way, thank you very much for the responses.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:57 PM

Ok I Misunderstood Sorry, Yes That Is The Proper Way, White Base, Tape Flames , Pearl , Untape And Clear,. I Personally Have Never Used Pearl In Clear And Ive Been Painting For 18 Years, I Prefer To Spray It As A Midcoat, Also You Should Get The Effect You Want Doing It Like This,. Ive Sprayed Ghost Flames Over Yellow And Orange And They Have Turned Out Great, Post Some Pics When It Is Done, Mike.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

IMO, Paint/blend,Clear,Flames,Clear hood.
Many way's to do a flame job,Just depends on WHO's doing it and which way they are doing it.
No way are they going to be visable from UNDER a base coat.
Ghost's are basically pearl/clear and go over the existing paint.
I'd say to wait and talk with the orginal painter as to the exact method.
Unless the funeral was in China or something.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat
Ok I Misunderstood Sorry, Yes That Is The Proper Way, White Base, Tape Flames , Pearl , Untape And Clear,. I Personally Have Never Used Pearl In Clear And Ive Been Painting For 18 Years, I Prefer To Spray It As A Midcoat, Also You Should Get The Effect You Want Doing It Like This,. Ive Sprayed Ghost Flames Over Yellow And Orange And They Have Turned Out Great, Post Some Pics When It Is Done, Mike.

Thank you very much for the help, Mike! Muchly appreciated and will get pics if I ever get the car back. Seems the guy hasn't called or shown up for work. I have called the shop to talk to the owner and he is supposed to call me back.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Mike's right on.
I just prefer to clear over the base in case I make a mistake, uhhh,change my mind on the layout or the base decides to lift during the tape pull.

Man we need to number ourselves.

Mike.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
Mike's right on.
I just prefer to clear over the base in case I make a mistake, uhhh,change my mind on the layout or the base decides to lift during the tape pull.

Man we need to number ourselves.

Mike.
Sorry, Mike2, I never even noticed your reply before mine until you replied again. The original painter isn't the painter. He's the taper. They were under the impression to tape first and I want that corrected before they start. I am kind of freaking since they haven't called back, they have my only car, and it's my money. I get a little nervous when I have to depend on anyone for anything beyond my own control, so to speak.

Thanks again for the replies and information!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Actually, I'm Mike 32 and he's Mike 37 or 38.
Kidding aside, I'd make DAMN sure SOMEBODY there KNOW'S what's going on for REAL.
Like you said, It's YOUR money and they best be getting it RIGHT before spraying anything.
A visit would be in order along with a ***IGO here to get things sorted out.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
Actually, I'm Mike 32 and he's Mike 37 or 38.
Kidding aside, I'd make DAMN sure SOMEBODY there KNOW'S what's going on for REAL.
Like you said, It's YOUR money and they best be getting it RIGHT before spraying anything.
A visit would be in order along with a ***IGO here to get things sorted out.
Sorted out. Seems I had my wires crossed about the dude doing the taping, and the owner had his wires crossed about the procedure.. It will be base, flames,clear. I talked it all over with them late this afternoon. The painter was still out due to uncle's death, and should begin work when I drop the car back off Tuesday morning.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Great.
Bring us some pic's.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Hopefully, there will be pics . Hopefully I'll be able to look at the finished product since I really don't see alot of people with subtle flames like what you're doing. GL!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 PM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:

I thought ghost flames method was like this.

1 base coat
2 tape and paint flames
3 a semi transparent mid coat
4 clear.
With this method the flames will not always be visible provided the base and flame colors are close to each other. and as you move around the the car the flames will appear and disappear hence ghost.

If you shoot base then flame right on top and clear the whole thing won't that be a normal flame job where the flames are always visible???

Ric
Old 07-24-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet
If you shoot base then flame right on top and clear the whole thing won't that be a normal flame job where the flames are always visible???

Ric
To be quite honest, I have read so many ways over the last few months, that I honestly have no clue. I was first going to go with metallic white, of some sort, but thought better of it when someone mentioned the idea of repairing a scratch on a metallic surface and how it may suck fixing it.

I basicly decided that the method I mentioned was as close to what I could figure out from the stuff I was reading, and would be very easy to fix, should a scratch occur. They may always be visible, but at least with it being a pearl white, from a distance, it should blend decently, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
Hopefully, there will be pics
Indeed. After the fast, steady help, and me being a newb to the site, it would be rude and punishable by a ban if I weren't to offer some pics.

Car goes back in Tuesday, probably won't see it again til late Thursday or Friday sometime. But I will either be as giddy as a school girl on her prom date, or as pissed as her boyfriend after she won't put out, once I see the finished product.

Thanks everyone for their help and encouragement. Much better help than the ClubGP forums as of late!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.