A quick novice question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A quick novice question

What's the method for reattaching the hood or trunk lid skin to the inner frame. I have two hoods and a trunk lid that I have refinished (ready to shoot) but they are not anchored to the inner (or under) frame out in the middle areas. Dug a bunch of expanding foam out of one. Seam sealer? More foam? Old issues of Hot Rod?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Properly it is an "anti flutter" foam, a semi soft foam.

You want it to flex a little. If you were to use something hard it would end up showing on the outside when the metal next to it flexed and that area didn't.

Brian
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Thanks. Can you point me to a product?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

the expanding foam creates problems itself cause you can't control its expansion, but it is the "I-Car" recommended way if that means anything.

I use 2 part seam sealer and haven't had any issues. It does shrink but so does most stuff. if you can throw some heat on it before you bodywork then that's some insurance. the guy who taught me this also does them on door skin intrusion beams after he slices it close to the skin to leave the foam on the impact bar. His word can be trusted as well. He has owned a shop for 30 years and has been doing it that way for a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
ddarnell (06-23-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
What Henry described is exactly how I have done it for years, leave the original foam on the beam and simply put a little urethane seam sealer over it before the skin is laid into place.

I have used Winzer (a wholesale shop product) products for the last number of years and haven't any experience with any other but 3M, SEM, Fusor and many others make an anti flutter foam.
You want the foam so that it gives a little bit with the panels. That is why the factory uses it.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
ddarnell (06-23-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

a little off topic but it's good advice nonetheless. Any time you are working a hood or deck that has an inner shell adhered to the skin, you must focus in on imperfections more than ever. The old painter used to say that it was completely acceptable to have a swallow or two on hoods and decks and that it was normal. That didn't fly with me and was completely unacceptable to at least not try to improve your work on them. So for a period of time that was my focus, to just focus more on them and to not let "primer handle it". There's really no such thing. I don't know why anyone would ever say that. That's about as stupid as saying once you block out the guidecoat on the low spot that it's going to disappear...it doesn't!!! So anytime someone says "we'll let primer handle it", you will be addressing that area thru EVERY round of primer and may decide when it's much too late in the process to skim the area in question when you just could have done it to begin with. You learn this from letting stuff go by to primer and then you deal with it and learn exactly what NOT to leave for primer. You do that for about a decade and you'll come to the conclusion that you should leave NOTHING for primer but good straight work. My point, don't take it to primer til you feel it by hand and have no question at all about it. Not so critical anywhere else, or shall I say, not as easy to be fooled by it anywhere else. Being fooled by it means you're excited about how straight it's gonna be then you puke when you see it finally in paint. Those kind of surprises are the worst but hard work and attention to detail and mistakes will eliminate that.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
ddarnell (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Last photo:

Great advise tech69 and it's coming at the just the right time. I have a 73 Satellite in the shop that is moving to primer. Big, long hood with big radius quarter/doors/fenders.
Thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.