Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quick organization of tools in your garage pays off!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well I got my tools sorted, sorta. I still have to finish breaking sockets by standard and metric. But I have to clean a lot of rust off my sockets and some other tools.

Once I clean and break the sockets down I will put the ones I use most in one drawer or tray. The problem I have right now is I don't have a good toolbox with multiple drawers. I almost put a used mac tool box on layaway, but I found a good deal on a welder. I do think I have enough trays, tool boxes, etc that I can improvise something that will work for a while till I can get a good tool box.

And one nice thing about the caddy is that 1/2 inch is the most common nut/bolt size. So it is pretty easy to set up for.

What I did was get all my tools on an empty space in the garage floor and just start making different piles. For example, one for pliers, one for screw drivers, one for ratchets and socket driving tools, etc. Once I get those piles if I need to break it down anymore it is pretty easy to go through the much smaller pile and divide it up again. On the sockets I just divided by 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and half inch drive sockets. I ended up with a few oddball hex drive sockets. Oh, well at least it is a first step.