Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quick organization of tools in your garage pays off!
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
One thing to remember guys when doing this clean up, don't waste valuable space on those tools you seldom use! This is the most important part of the organization of you tools. You don't need those Vernier Calipers on top of your tool cart, UNLESS of course you are using that cart for mainly engine rebuilding. In that case you wouldn't need those channel locks on your cart if you are mostly rebuilding engines!

What you put on your cart or top drawers of your tool box or even on your peg board is more about what do you REALLY use everyday.

You don't need those interior panel popping tools in your tool cart unless you are pulling panels off everyday like in a production body shop. You just don't need to take up that space if you aren't using them every time or nearly every time you go to that cart for a tool. You don't even need the big screw drivers, the number 2 phillips is used 10,000 to one of the other sizes, why put all the others on your tool cart when you COULD put one of the other common tools there?

And don't store the ratchets together away from the sockets, put the 1/4 inch ratchets and sockets next to one an other, put the 3/8 inch ratchets and sockets next to one an other. You are never going to grab a socket and use it by it's self right? Then why put them in different drawers?

On my cart are the most used tools, the clutch head drivers, the flare end tubing wreches, the metric tools, the super large wrenches, the brake tools, the speciality screw drivers (torx), drill bits, files, all these tools are in small tool boxes on my bench. I am not going to use them enough to put them on my cart. I want the tools I will need 90% of the time on that cart, and that is IT. I don't need to roll a cart out side to work on my car that is full of tools I am seldom going to use!

If you have JUST those tools you use 90% of the time you are going to find things easier, it will be harder to loose them, it is just way easier.

What you put on your cart is going to be different for everyone. If you are building a later model car or an import you need your metric tools on the cart and your SAE left on the bench in a tool box, if you are doing brakes all the time you need those brake tools on your cart. That cart should be very specialized for YOU. And what you are USUALLY using.

Brian