Hot Rod Forum banner

Quick Problem

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Holder350 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was driving my car aftre 30 mins of driving I gave it gas to pass a slow car drving in the fast lane. An amazing thing happend it started desieling bad. Pulled codes off the ECM got a 32 that is the EGR what a surprise. had that since the motor was rebuilt. and A 41 which is cam sensor or tach error. Here is the specs on the car:
1984 Camaro Z28
Reman 305 4000 miles
Rebuilt Carb 200 miles
New Plug wires
New plugs
New Cap and Rotor
New Coil.

Can Someone Help

#7 ·
MR.Fleming said:
The Computer controls the timing in the car, where would the cam sensor or the cam position sensor be located?

so does my 97 silverado but if the knock retard is off more than + - 2* degrees it will through a cam position code. the cam sensor is located in the distributor clock wise or counter clock wise it will change knock retard.

do you see the connection for the cam position sensor.

oh and dieseling is cause when the engine's timing is off.

#8 ·
Can it cause dieseling (or pinging)? Yes, if it is stuck open or closed under the wrong conditions.

Will replacing the EGR fix your problem? Maybe, it that is the only variable at play.

How do you hook it up? Google and find the information online, or better yet, buy a Haynes or Chilton manual for your application.

Have you corrected the problems you mentioned in this thread?
New motor New Problem

It appears you have many issues, not just one.

Ed

#9 ·
Yea that problem was fixed and the car was running great. Except for the ticking which is an exhaust leak. I am in the proces of getting a set of headers for it now. The EGR though seems it was never hooked up. and the MAP sensor has no other place to hook it up too. The only hose is running from there to the back of the intake manifold.

#12 ·
Quick problem

By dieseling I assume you mean what most people would call pinging or spark knock.
The computer controls the timing advance on a 1984, not the base timing. The base timing could be wrong.
I don't have a manual in front of me but I never saw a 1984 Chevy V8 with a separate cam sensor.
A 1984 and a 1997 are worlds apart in how the various systems are controlled by the computer.
Spark knock is caused by high combustion chamber temperature and timing that's to far advanced, among other things. A malfunctioning EGR could be the cause, but if the cars been running ok that's not the first thing I'd look at. Check the timing like 383silverado suggested, it's an obvious possible cause of the knocking. Another is an engine that's running too hot or too lean. Maybe you got a tankful of bad gas.

#13 ·
ernkazern said:
By dieseling I assume you mean what most people would call pinging or spark knock.
your thinking of detonation.

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when air/fuel mixture in the cylinder detonates or ignites prior to the timed pre-set conditions in the engine's cylinder(s). The fuel-air charge is suppose to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle designed for the engine. In engine knocking the smooth burning of the fuel-air mixture is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber detonating before cylinder's piston has reached the designed position. The design intent of the combustion process ceases, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressures increase catastrophically. It can range from hardly noticeable to complete engine destruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

#18 ·
Dieseling is not pinging or knocking it is often called engine "run-on" and happens when the engine is turned OFF!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling

Spark knock or detionation is pre-ignition caused by the combustion temps being to high and the air fuel mixture firing before the spark plug fires.http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

Ritchen your system up, should take care of your "dieseling" problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.