Quick question about a chevy Neutral SS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quick question about a chevy Neutral SS

Ok, to keep it short,
I have a 73 Chevy, 3/4 ton, with a turbo 350 tranny. I have the neutral safety switch hooked up and working fine. I would however like to know if its possible to run a second switch in series with one of the wires coming off of the nss to the solenoid, or off of the wire going from the ignition switch. My reasoning for this is like having a starter kill. With the second switch hidden in say the ash tray which is not used, would it be possible to use the switch to control whether or not the truck will start? I dont want to use it as a push button ignition or anything, but as a starter kill switch. When the switch is off, the truck wont start because there is no power to the neutral safety switch... when On, the truck would be startable as the NSS would have power... Am I totally out to lunch, or would this be possible... How many amps do you think would be going through the NSS when under load, I dont want to use an under rated switch for safety reasons...

any thoughts are appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Simon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Yes , It is highly possible to series hook another switch on the "S" line from the Solenoid to the Neutral safety switch..

This WILL effectively kill the solenoid energize line to the starter..BUT be advised..a car thief with a little savvy will just go and screwdriver the solenoid at the starter..Nothing is really fool proof.

I'd use a relay driven by a switch..because the current can get a lot higher than most standard aftermarket switches can handle (most are only around 3 to 5 amps..)

Doc
Old 04-20-2006, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Doc!

Thanks Doc, I was hoping you would reply, you do seem to know everything about everything

Would you happen to have a basic diagram in your resources? I would be more inclined to do it how you say than just to jimmy up a solution. I do know about the screwdriver trick, and I dont expect to be theft proof, as Im not going to remove my starter every time I park the truck . It would be more of a deterrent than anything. Any more info you could offer is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Doc,

Simon
Old 04-20-2006, 01:20 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Yeah anyone who's savvy on how to steal cars will jumper past any kill switch you put on the neutral switch or the ignition.

About the only way to fool them would be to put the battery in the trunk with the appropriate kill switch, and then hide a second kill switch or perhaps a high current relay ($$$$$!) somewhere right before the cable enters the engine bay.

And now that I've shared that bit of info on here it's not longer valid anyway

I still recommend some sort of anti theft/kill switch device. It'll probably keep most people from trying to steal it once it doesn't start it right away.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

One little "Cheepie" I like..(because it works for my situation/System)

Is an Ignition defeat controlled by the Power antenna / Amp Turn on line from the CD / Radio ....

All that is needed, Is a relay, a Little bit of wire...and some of your time.

Hook the relay coil power (you might want to use a diode on this line to isolate the relay spike from the CD player) To the power Antenna / Amp turn on line on the player..The other side of the relay coil to ground.

Hook the Normally open Contact to the Coil +.

Hook the wire that went to the Coil power, to the Centerwiper of the relay.

That's it..

When you park the truck, take the CD Player Faceplate with you, (so the unit can not be powered on, and the Antenna line energized) and the relay remains open, no spark..It isn't going to start..

When you return, replace the face plate, when the key is on, and the power antenna is energized the relay closes..normal spark...starts right up..

The reason it works for me, Is my CD/Player is "On" 24/7 365, whenever I'm in the car..so remembering to turn the radio on is not a problem..And the antenna does not recline when you toss in a CD..If yours is like this, It might work for you..

Drawbacks..Shut off the radio, the engine quits..(use Audio mute) and if the antenna reclines in CD operation..This won't work for you (unless you Don't play CD's)

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.