****A quick and true history of Hot Rodding.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

****A quick and true history of Hot Rodding....

First of all, there will be no history revision here.......

So anyway, most people dont realize it, but Hot Rodding was started on the EAST coast.

See, it all started in the late 30's, when East coast people began trying to boost the performance of their cars. Then some forward thinking East coast companies like Edelbrock started making aftermarket high performance products like manifolds and such.

later, the Muscle car era began. Now all along, East coast folks had been occasionally driving their hot rods across country to the West Coast, but people over there didnt take notice of Hot Rods and Muscle cars from the 40's-early 70's. Thats easy to explain though. You see, people on the West Coast had their own hobbies and interests at that time, such as Badminton and stamp collecting.

So, while US car companies were selling sports cars and muscle cars on the East coast, the West coast folks were buying mainly station wagons, because they needed the extra room in the back to carry badminton nets, racquets, and stamp collections.

But then, in the mid 90's, folks from the West coast finally began to take notice of hot rods and such. They then asked the East coast people to "show them the ropes", and because people from the East coast are so wonderful, caring, great and thoughtful.....but very humble, they agreed to help out.

So, they decided to start building LOTS of speed shops, custom car shops, and other hot rod shops out there, and the east coasters sent out lots of expert engine builders and customizers to help get the west coast people all caught up. We even decided to move the Petersen automotive museum to the west coast, so that those people could see what it's all about....

Plus, it became necessary to transfer many aftermarket parts companies to the west coast, to save them money on shipping costs when they ordered parts.........

The folks from the west coast were so happy about all this, that they offered to send badminton coaches out to the east coast in return, but we declined, because we were too busy building hot rods and such.....

But then there was a quandry..... As I said earlier, east coast people are warm and wonderful, but very humble, so they didnt feel comfortable taking all the credit for inventing Hot Rodding, so we decided we'd allow the west coast people to believe that they were the ones who invented Hot Rodding.

So there you have it....... The true history of Hot Rodding!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I believe it!

And I believe you, too! I really do!

Now I realize that most folks would not believe that history, but I do!

Of course I also believe that I am actually a great Blue Whale trapped in a human body due to experiments performed by the master beings from Alpha Centauri!

Last edited by Dave57210; 12-27-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Just my .02 worth, and that is all it is worth. Some of us are old enough that it isn't history to us, and in my case, taking care of my 92 year old dad, it isn't history to him either. Hot rodding roots, and I mean the very beginning was during my dad's youth and it was simply stripping down an old Model T to the bare frame, placing a late model A flathead V8 in place of the flat four, then trying to make the thing aerodynamic with tapered engine cowling and racing on oval tracks on the weekends. My 1923 Track-T pays homage to these roots. The modern era of hot rodding was in fact on the west coast with returning vets from WW II souping up with those aftermarket heads and intake manifolds that you mentioned, the '32 Ford. This car used by 12 years, was quite affordable to the vets, and with their combat pay, could sink some coin into making them go fast.

Again, just my 0.02 worth.

Bob

Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 AM

i agree with deckofficer and on top of that it also began in the good old days when people were running shine thats when the real hot rods came around and where did shine come from neither of the coasts it came from the south baby
Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Then some forward thinking East coast companies like Edelbrock started making aftermarket high performance products like manifolds and such.
I realize this "history lesson" is largely tongue in cheek- but you do realize Vic Edelbrock Sr. got his start in CA and is originally from KS, doncha? Not quite the East coast.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The "history" timing is a bit off. We all know the Okie movement to California in the Dust Bowl years was the introduction of hot rods to the West Coast. Go ahead, Deck Officer, admit it!!

Trees
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 AM

About "The History Of Hot Rodding".

Perhaps you would refine your local from the "East coast" to the South. It was the moonshiners who were improving there cars performance, in order to out run the Feds.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Then ther is the Michigan, Ohio connection.. Where the vehicles were designed/manufactured..

Hotbeds of hotrodding and Gasser style drag cars..
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave bear
Perhaps you would refine your local from the "East coast" to the South. It was the moonshiners who were improving there cars performance, in order to out run the Feds.

Yeah, you're right!

Plus, I'm from the South, so I'll revise the hot rodding history again, and give credit to 'my' people from the South. Although the original intent of the thread was to 'revise' history and give credit to 'my' people from the East coast, but this works out even better!

Yeah, so when re-reading the OP, every time you read the words "East Coast", you should simply substitute them with the words "Southern US".....

Then it will be completely accurate!

No, but for real, the Moonshiners from the South really dont seem to get credit for inventing Hot Rodding. They do get credit for Nascar, but thats about it.......... But they were doing the exact same thing to their cars as were the West coast folks, but the Southerners were doing it for different purposes, and they weren't building 1/4 mile street/drag cars either. Their cars were built to rage across southern back roads and rural highways to evade the law so that they could make enough cash to support their families.

But it's still basically the same thing..... Everyone, regardless of West or South were finding ways of making their cars faster. That IS Hot Rodding!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

And to think that all this time I thought it was some guys in Minnesota trying to outrun polar bears when they were out ice fishing, Uffda! A lot of penguin hunters also had to outrun the polar bears unless they had the Super Siberian Huskies to pull their highly modified beer keg sleds. This is where the Shlitz beer name came in. They lost more races to the polar bear then the Pabst guys did, but the biggest winners of all were the Hamms beer guys. Just a little Minnesota history, known to few, told to me while just a kid, sitting on Grandpa Dingers knee.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

I assume this is a joke... or a fantasy. :-)~~

As I recall... since I discovered the hobby in '58... and read literally thousands of hot rod and custom car magazines cover to cover ('46 to about 1990s issues)...

The "hot rod" movement was not recognized until post WW2. Yes, others tried to soup their cars up earlier... just like cave men tried to outdo each other, chasing down dinner or a "date"... but it was not a recognized social movement.

What about the Muroc Dry Lakes? ...and the fact that drag racing was originally credited to some illegal street action around L.A., which caused the locals to organize it onto tracks there???
Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
I assume this is a joke... or a fantasy. :-)~~

As I recall... since I discovered the hobby in '58... and read literally thousands of hot rod and custom car magazines cover to cover ('46 to about 1990s issues)...

The "hot rod" movement was not recognized until post WW2. Yes, others tried to soup their cars up earlier... just like cave men tried to outdo each other, chasing down dinner or a "date"... but it was not a recognized social movement.

What about the Muroc Dry Lakes? ...and the fact that drag racing was originally credited to some illegal street action around L.A., which caused the locals to organize it onto tracks there???

Well, theres a simple answer to that.....

We relocated the Muroc dry lakes out west, so they'd have a place to try out their new rods....

We didnt want them to get in trouble by racing on the street...

It can be chalked up to thoughtfulness on our parts....
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone
Well, theres a simple answer to that.....

We relocated the Muroc dry lakes out west, so they'd have a place to try out their new rods....

We didnt want them to get in trouble by racing on the street...

It can be chalked up to thoughtfulness on our parts....

You guys are soooo considerate. :-)
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
You guys are soooo considerate. :-)
That falls right in there with the water-wine conversion. Amazing! I bet he had to split the lake-bed into 2 parts and do them one at a time....
Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Last journal entry: Picture of delivery
Last photo:

History lesson?
Look up Ransom Eli Olds and Ormond Beach Florida (1894 - 1897)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransom_E._Olds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...OldsPirate.jpg

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.