Quicker quarter mile times - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quicker quarter mile times

hey guys newb here. I own a 84 c10 shortbed pickup and i just ran it at the track for the first time last night. I cant say im dissapointed but I was hoping to break into the 13's but here are my times
r/t .052
60' 2.101
330 6.083
1/8 9.329
mph 75.08
1000 12.185
1/4 14.644

The truck started out bone stock with 62k on the clock with a 350 sbc. So far I beefed things up a little with vortec heads, comp xe284h cam, flowtech headers, 3 inch pipes into spintech super pro streets, dual plane performer rpm manifold, tuned quadrajet carb. Im also running a tci th350 with a 3000 stall converter and 410s.

Im just Curious if anyone had some input to help me bring them times down a little. I was running street tires so i could only launch around 2k without it breaking loose. Also i was looking into getting a set of roller tip rocker arms, are they really worth the expense? Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I don't think higher ratio rocker arms will make any noticeable difference. Vortecs flow well on up to about .480-.5" lift. No need to put more strain on your valve train.

You're truck is probably already capable of 13's. I would look into some traction adders like Cal-tracs and slicks. Maybe even install a trans brake. Might need a touch more stall so it'll launch at max tq. Say 3500.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

buy a nitrous kit. and get rid of the vortec, they sound cool but they are really just restricting pieces of junk.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Yeah i was going to just run 1.5 roller tips. I figured i have enough cam to not need the extra lift. I originally was going to run a 3500 stall but i drive the truck on the street pretty often so i went with the 3000 to try to keep my trans temps down. Im still running a clutch fan so im going to look into some electrics. When i launch i dont have any wheel hop the tires just spin would the caltracs help the spin or should i just try some radials?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevykid90
buy a nitrous kit. and get rid of the vortec, they sound cool but they are really just restricting pieces of junk.
Really? alot of people have good things to say about them, and seem to run some pretty decent times with a gm factory head
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Uhm, you must be thinking of something else Honda related.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM

and i would spray it but im planning on using this block for a future 383 build (4 bolt mains, 1 pc rear seal) so I dont really want to grenade it lol
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
buy a nitrous kit. and get rid of the vortex, they sound cool but they are really just restricting pieces of junk....
You talking about the highest flowing production heads Chevy EVER made, not junk by ANY stretch of the imagination. Are there better heads available? Of course, aftermarket, but what he's got will work just fine, probably better than most aftermarket heads, for what he's doing. I'd suggest working on traction, Cal-Tracs WILL plant the tires harder, maybe look into a shorter, stickier tire just for the track.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer
You talking about the highest flowing production heads Chevy EVER made, not junk by ANY stretch of the imagination. Are there better heads available? Of course, aftermarket, but what he's got will work just fine, probably better than most aftermarket heads, for what he's doing. I'd suggest working on traction, Cal-Tracs WILL plant the tires harder, maybe look into a shorter, stickier tire just for the track.
Yeah ill have to order the caltracs and tires. Just figured id ask for some opinions that way i dont end up wasting my money on something that i dont need/ wont benefit from. thanks for the input guys
Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr954rrider
Yeah i was going to just run 1.5 roller tips. I figured i have enough cam to not need the extra lift. I originally was going to run a 3500 stall but i drive the truck on the street pretty often so i went with the 3000 to try to keep my trans temps down. Im still running a clutch fan so im going to look into some electrics. When i launch i dont have any wheel hop the tires just spin would the caltracs help the spin or should i just try some radials?
Some 1.5 roller tips will help with friction, but I wouldn't go with a higher ratio. You probably wont see hardly any results on the time slip though. If you look at some flow charts, vortecs sweet spot is right around .480. A full roller cam setup would be worth the $$$ though. They're pricey though.

I still think you're leaving some on the table with the motor as is. If you drive the truck daily then I would stick with the 3000 stall. A 3500 can be a little to much on the street.

I'm thinking you're not getting wheel hop cause the tires aren't getting traction. You can always do it a step at a time. A set of slicks, if the truck starts to wheel hop then get some traction adders (caltracs or at least ladder bars).

Here are some plans how to make some homemade caltracs.

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM

Awesome im deffinatly going to make a set and try them out before i fork out the cash for the caltracs.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
NUCKINFUTS MOTORSPORTS

Put your efforts into your launch and get those 60' times lowered. It almost sounds like you might have rolled the beams.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR DC
Put your efforts into your launch and get those 60' times lowered. It almost sounds like you might have rolled the beams.
yeah thats what im shooting for the next time im down at the track. I just couldnt get on the converter because of the lack of traction with street tires and stock suspension. Plus if anyone here is familiar with atco raceway in nj there is no way around the wet box which is horrible for traction on street tires
Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Try just some slicks first, and play with different launch rpm's and maybe air pressure. Your 60 foot is what's killing you. If you can get a better launch, with the suspension as is, you should be in your 13's. You're not that far away now.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM

yeah i just picked up a set of 275/60/15's mt's and electric fans im heading down to the track saturday ill let you guys know how i made out

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.