Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quickfuel 750 SS Super Rich at Idle
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Alright guys I'm heading out there shortly to mess with the transfer slots. Concerning messing with the power valve and what have yah, I made a few phone calls yesterday to one of the local dyno shops in the area and they put me in touch with a retired fellow who did all of their carb tuning. I gave him a call and he told me to bring the carb and/or car over, and he stocks powervalves, jets, IAB, idle restrictors etc etc. So hopefully that saves me ordering a bunch of parts and his 40 years of tuning experience should cut down on the time spent as well, hoping.

Concerning timing, I wasn't sent any extra weights with my distributor. I ordered it from Davis Unified Ignition and they asked for my cam specs, compression ratio, etc; they supposedly curved it to to match. So yeah I can bump up the base timing, but beyond that I need to make a phone call to get the proper weights, assuming they didn't install them.

Or would idling be improved by something as simple as hooking up the vacuum advance (barring the fact that I'm dumping a heinous amount of extra fuel atm)?

Anyway that's what I'll be playing with today, yesterday I ended up just having time to pick up my car hauler from my friends out of town and err hem, "modifying" the hood to close without hitting the air cleaner. It's almost like they didn't intend these cars to run with carburetors, go figure. Oh and the car has an AOD with a 9.5" 3000 stall converter, but given the last 3 valvebodies I've ordered have all not worked correctly in one way or another, and the fact that I've rebuilt the thing 2-3 times now...the automatic may not be long for this world. I should have gone with the 4r70w and retained lockup, sigh.

If I don't get on later today I'll be sure to hop on with an update later thursday, should someone with a similar combo need a ballpark for setting up their carb. So yeah off to poke around in the garage.